A.S. Council at a Glance

A.S. Meeting #28 — April 20

Items of Immediate Consideration

Items C-E

John Muir College Junior Senator Neil Spears, Commissioner of Student Advocacy Denis Shmidt and A.S. Student Assistant Di Lam were appointed to the Compensation Review Board, which will make recommendations on the size of council stipends for the upcoming council.

According to Spears, the board will recommend the termination of senator stipends, an $80 per year stipend for executive members and commissioners, and $10 and $15 per week for the senate chair and vice-chair, respectively.

Item F

The council unanimously passed a resolution calling on the administration to halt the process of naming Sixth College after former UCSD Chancellor and UC President Richard C. Atkinson.

According to the resolution, the Sixth College Executive Committee did not elicit student opinions and misinformed the only student on the committee about the meeting time for the vote. The resolution also said that the name of the college should reflect Sixth College’s dedication to the promotion of culture, art and technology.

Reports

Commissioner of Student Advocacy Denis Shmidt

Shmidt reported that his office is accepting applications for students seeking to become the next commissioner of student advocacy.

Council Caucus

Commissioner of Student Services Kian Maleki told the council that the A.S. Safe Rides program is discussing placing a limit on the number of times a student can use the service. According to Maleki, students would be given one ride per quarter in order to reduce the costs of the program. Students would be able to earn more rides by attending educational seminars throughout the year.

Members of the council opposed the limitations, however, saying that students should have access to A.S. Safe Rides in order to reduce the number of drunk drivers on the road and assist students who are in difficult situations. Some councilmembers suggested that students who overuse the service be charged money in order to ride.

Old Business

Item J

The council indefinitely postponed an amendment to its senate bylaws that enumerate specific reasons for which the senate meeting can be closed. Warren College Junior Senator Josh Martino said that the legislation was postponed to allow the council to discuss raising the necessary vote to close meetings from a two-thirds majority to three-fourths of the senators.

$2515
    $5000