Women’s basketball wins some, loses some

The UCSD women’s basketball team came home with a win and a loss after a Southern California road trip to Los Angeles and Bakersfield, Calif., this past weekend, moving the Tritons to 11-8 overall and 7-5 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association

On Feb. 5, the Tritons challenged Cal State Bakersfield at Centennial Gardens. The Tritons fell to the Roadrunners (14-5, 8-4 CCAA) in an emotional match, losing 71-60 to the regional contender.

Low scoring in the first half of the match (Cal State Bakersfield 24, UCSD 20) led to poor overall scores for both squads. The Tritons averaged .300 in field-goal attempts, .130 in three-point shots and made 9-of-13 free throws. The Roadrunners shot .222 for three-point shots and .400 for field goals, while making only 19-of-31 free throws.

Despite the loss, top players for the Tritons included senior center Margaret Johnson with a game-high double-double, posting 14 points and 14 rebounds. Sophomore guard Leora Juster had a strong 12 points and six rebounds, and sophomore forward Hillary Hansen had eight points and six rebounds. Senior center Stacy Gallagher-Bolton and junior guard Andrea Herold both earned eight points and six rebounds.

Lead scorers for the Roadrunners included junior forward Katie McElree, with 18 points and 10 rebounds, and guards Shakaria Jones and Gillian Lillich, with 17 points apiece for the win.

UCSD defeated Cal State Los Angeles (4-14 overall, 1-10 CCAA) at the Golden Eagles’ Nest Arena, 60-36, on Feb. 4.

In their third straight win, the Tritons defeated Cal State Los Angeles with stellar performances from multiple members of the squad. Juster had the game high of 13 points. Senior forward Katie McGann added 10 points and posted 13 rebounds and four assists. Junior forward Karina Siam also added 10 points and four rebounds, and Gallagher-Bolton posted nine rebounds for the Tritons. Johnson had eight points in the game, while sophomore guard Kim Buffum added seven points for the win.

The Golden Eagles had strong performances in freshman guard/forward Amber Todd, who posted eight points, sophomore guard Jaemy Oda with seven points and nine rebounds and junior forward/center Charmaine Utz, with six points and 13 rebounds.

At halftime UCSD led Cal State Los Angeles by 14 points, but despite the lead, the Tritons had difficulties in their conversions, with only a .373 field-goal percentage. However, UCSD’s strong defensive play held the Golden Eagles to only .212 in field goal conversions.

The Tritons return home for a pair of matches against Chico State on Feb. 11 and Cal State Stanislaus on Feb. 12 at RIMAC Arena. Both games are scheduled for a 5:30 p.m. tip-off.

$2515
    $5000