Legendary sports announcer to visit UCSD

Veteran CBS and NBC sports broadcaster Dick Enberg’s new book was set for publication under the title, “Oh My! Fifty Years of Rubbing Shoulders with Greatness,” before a last-minute change reduced it to simply, “Dick Enberg: Oh My!” After a glance at his accomplishments, one might ask why.

“The [broadcast] booth isn’t a very big place,” Enberg said. “So I am actually rubbing shoulders with whoever is in there with me.”

And greatness is no understatement. After having broadcast 21 Wimbledons, 18 French Opens, nine Super Bowls, nine Rose Bowls, four Olympic Games, the World Series and three National League Playoffs, three Heavyweight Boxing Championships, the NBA Playoffs and All-Star Game, the NCAA men’s basketball Final Four and a plethora of other events from more sports than most people can name, Enberg is one of the most consummate professional athletics announcers in the business.

He has had the privilege of working alongside Hall of Fame pitchers Don Drysdale and Tom Seaver, NBA great Bill Walton, Phil Simms, John Wooden, Chris Evert and the author of the foreword to Enberg’s newest book, John McEnroe.

Enberg began his career in sports journalism in 1965 as the radio and television voice of the California Angels, UCLA basketball and the Los Angeles Rams on his way to earning four California Sportscaster of the Year awards.

In 1973, on assignment and following the U.S. National Basketball team, Enberg became the first American sports broadcaster to call a game within the People’s Republic of China.

But 13 Emmy Awards, 13 Sportscaster of the Year Awards and a National Emmy for Lifetime Achievement aside, Enberg’s roots are in education.

“I used to teach and I was the assistant baseball coach at Cal State Northridge,” he said. “That was from 1961 to 1965, but it was my first love and someday that’s where I’ll return.”

For the time being, Enberg has another three years left on his current contract with CBS; however, he hopes that whatever follows will have to do with education.

“My field was in health education, but it’s been so long since then that I’d have to go back to school for another four years to learn about that stuff again, but I feel like I have a lot of knowledge and experience to give,” Enberg said.

Included in that experience is a keen public speaking talent.

“I speak on college campuses from time to time,” he said. “It’s always interesting to hear what young people are interested in. Students excite me by their energy.”

Enberg will visit UCSD on Dec. 1, promoting his new book at the Price Center Theater between noon and 1 p.m.

“I encourage people to come by with any questions and I’ll try to field them all,” Enberg said. “But [the book] is not just about sports — it’s somewhat about my life and life lessons even for people who aren’t big sports fans.”

$2515
    $5000