A.S. Council at a Glance

Meeting #8 — Oct. 13, 2004

Public Input

Greg Buie, a Thurgood Marshall College junior, informed the council of the Hoops for Hope basketball tournament scheduled for Oct. 30.

This three-on-three basketball tournament with men’s, women’s and coed divisions, will take place on the John Muir College basketball courts. There is a $40 entry fee for each team, which will go to help provide children in Sri Lanka with food, medicine and other necessities. Additionally, there will be a photo gallery entitled “Beyond the Faces,” which will feature pictures from 12 countries.

For more information, students can e-mail [email protected].

Sixth College Sophomore Senator Enrique Soto announced his resignation from the A.S. Council. Soto cited personal reasons, saying that he could not devote enough time to fulfill the duties of his office.

Announcements

Commissioner of Student Services Kian Maleki

Maleki announced that Triton Taxi stickers will expire on Oct. 30. After that time, students will need to have an A.S. Safe Rides sticker in order to use the service.

Revelle College Sophomore Senator Nicholas Hein

Hein announced that there will be a Student Foundation information meeting on Oct. 14. The meeting will take place at 7:30 p.m. in Center Hall 109.

Panhellenic Representative Rachel Corell

Corell announced that the Panhellenic Association and Interfraternity Council will be participating in a walk organized by Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.

The walk begins at 8:30 a.m. on Oct. 17 in Balboa Park on the corner of 6th and Laurel Streets. Students can visit http://www.cancer.org for more information.

Reports

President Jenn Pae

Pae reported that Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Joseph W. Watson and Acting Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs David Miller have determined the priorities of outreach funding for the upcoming year.

According to Pae, current proposals state that the Preuss School will receive a $200,000 increase in funding, while the Early Academic Outreach Program had its funding cut by 20 percent to 30 percent and Student Initiated Outreach and Recruitment Commission had its funding cut from $60,000 to $20,000.

Vice President External Rigo Marquez

Marquez told the council that the UCSD Rock the Vote program has yielded 1,800 new voter registrations.

He also announced that there will be two polling places on campus for the Nov. 2 elections. The first polling place will be in Gallery A on the second floor of Price Center and the other will be in John Muir College.

Old Business

Item B

The council voted against a reallocation of $7,000 to A.S. Programming, which would have been used to fund the Sun God festival.

During discussion, Pae told the council that the funding already provided for Sun God in the 2003-04 school year totaled $160,000. Members of the council said they recognized the importance of the festival but were hesitant to allocate the money so early in the school year.

Vice President of Finance Kevin Hanson said that if Sun God needed additional funding in the spring, he would choose to fund it at that time.

Item H

After discussion, the council decided to allocate $2,800 to Marshallpalooza for the event on Nov. 19. This number is lower than the $4,500 requested by the event organizers. The legislation was approved by a vote of 11-5-2.

Item R

The council voted to allocate $30,296.97 of previously unallocated funds to Operations and Services Student Stipends. One senator voted against the proposal and one abstained, with a final vote of 16-1-1.

— Compiled by Patrick Allen

Senior Staff Writer

$2515
    $5000