Women’s volleyball aims for title

Women’s volleyball is looking to bounce back into form after suffering a discouraging upset to Hawaii Pacific in the 2003 NCAA Division II Women’s Volleyball Championship Pacific Regional Semifinal, which snapped a 20-match winning streak for the Tritons, and ended the team’s season.

Ninth-year head coach Duncan McFarland led the 2003 squad to an overall 25-5 mark in 2003, including a 19-3 California Collegiate Athletic Association record, which was strong enough to earn UCSD the No. 1 national ranking going into the postseason.

In 2001, after finishing the season with a mark of 25-7 and reaching the NCAA Semifinals, McFarland was named the NCAA Division II National Coach of the Year. In 1997, before UCSD made the transition to Division II, McFarland led the Tritons to the NCAA Division III National Championship and was named the NCAA Division III National Coach of the Year. Prior to the 2004 campaign, McFarland had built up a 201-47 overall record — an .811 winning percentage.

The Tritons, who competed in the 2003 season with only 10 varsity athletes, have practically doubled the size of the team’s roster by not graduating any seniors and acquiring six new players, including four eligible freshmen. UCSD will be looking to veteran senior stars, including 2003 All-CCAA First Team members Kendra Canape, Bonnie Wilson and Teresa Ohta, for leadership through the season.

The 2004 program has already shown its power in the early season, building a 13-1 record through Sept. 17, with only one loss against University of Minnesota-Duluth at the Premier Tournament in Denver, Colo. on Sept. 4.

The Tritons will be back in RIMAC Arena for action against Cal State Los Angeles on Sept. 22. at 7 p.m.

$2515
    $5000