Softball loses three key players to graduation

UCSD softball will lose shortstop Kim Aggabao, pitcher and first baseman Jodie Bland and third baseman Amy Mettee when the seniors graduate.

Aggabao, a co-captain who plays both shortstop and second base, was selected as the California Collegiate Athletic Association 2004 Most Valuable Player, the first time a Triton has ever received this honor for softball. In addition to CCAA MVP, Aggabao earned First Team all-CCAA honors for the third straight year and was selected to the Division II All-West Region Second Team, her first time appearing on the honorary team. She led the league with a .411 batting average and fell just short of the all-time school record of .415, set by Erin Bridges in 2000. Aggabao also led the league in doubles, with 23, and set a school record at the same time. Playing in all 56 of the team’s games this season, she also led UCSD with 38 RBIs, her second straight year of knocking in the most runs.

Not stopping there, Aggabao touched more bases than any Triton, with 104 total bases, and finished the season with a slugging percentage of .638, while scoring 32 runs. She blasted all four of her collegiate home runs this season and also played solid defense, turning in a .948 fielding percentage. Aggabao will leave UCSD in the top-six of six different categories in all-time UCSD softball leaders.

Joining Aggabao in First Team honors is fellow co-captain Mettee. This is Mettee’s fourth selection to the all-CCAA team: She earned Second Team honors in her freshman year and took a spot on the First Team for the next three years. Mettee also joins Aggabao on the All-West Region Second Team, her fourth appointment in four years. She made Second Team as a freshman and then earned First Team honors in both her sophomore and junior years.

Mettee will be leaving quite a legacy behind at UCSD, exiting with the lead in five categories for the school as well as two second-place finishes. She ended the year batting .309 and led the team with two triples, 45 runs and 22 stolen bases. Mettee’s all-time first-place stats include hits, with 256; doubles, with 48; home runs, with 18; runs, with 162; and assists, with 544. She will depart from UCSD second in both triples and stolen bases, with 16 and 70, respectively.

Bland served as the workhorse of the Triton pitching staff this year, pitching a team-leading 165.1 innings, while emerging with a team-leading 13 wins. Going 13-13 on the season, she finished with a 3.05 ERA and kept opponents to a .302 batting average. Bland started 25 games, more than any other Triton, and appeared in 29 games, also a team high. In addition, she earned UCSD’s lone save of the season. Striking out 25 and only walking 23, Bland also maintained a .996 fielding percentage, committing only one error on the season, netting 173 putouŽts.

Pitching wasn’t Bland’s only skill, however, as she proved herself invaluable at the plate as well. Her total of 28 RBIs was third-best on the team, and she also managed to score 20 times while hitting 10 doubles. Bland tied for second on the team with four home runs, and also tied for second with one triple. She touched 65 total bases and ended the season with a .406 slugging percentage.