Club Sports

Badminton

The UCSD badminton team had another solid year, finishing the season undefeated for the second consecutive year and claiming the Southern California Collegiate Badminton League title once again. With their solid talent, the badminton team is quickly establishing itself as one of the premier teams in the nation.

Cycling

The mountain biking team had a solid showing toward the beginning of the year, finishing seventh in the Western Collegiate Cycling Conference. One of its female riders, Christine Grasinski, had several first-place finishes throughout the season. The team performed best at home, cleaning up the competition at the UCSD-hosted Eucalyptus Grove event.

The road biking team also had a good season, with several notable finishes at Boulevard, Mira Mesa College and UCLA. It also sent several individual riders, led by captain Joe Merlone, to nationals.

Dancesport

Finishing its season undefeated, the UCSD Dancesport team, led by captains Lindy Cabot and Lawrence Ortiguerra, landed nothing but first-place finishes, including wins at the San Francisco Open and in Las Vegas. The team also hosted their sixth annual Day by the Shores in April, and the May Showcase.

Dance Sport

The UCSD dance team capped off the year with a third-place finish at the National Cheerleading Association/National Dance Association Collegiate Nationals in Daytona Beach, Fla., the largest and most competitive collegiate dance competition in the world. This finish was the dance team’s highest finish at nationals in four years. The team also took a first place win at the Cheerleaders of America Collegiate Championships.

Equestrian

Starting off their season strong on both the English and Western sides, the equestrian team began making waves in the Western Zone region. With new facilities at Del Mar Showpark and a pair of enthusiastic captains, Kate McComas and Marce Evans, the team did well this season. Final point totals at the end of the season put UCSD just one point behind University of San Diego in their region, but sent three riders, Linda Torres, Shannon Ward and co-captain Marce Evans, to nationals after finishing in the top two of their class in the Western Zone.

Ice Hockey

The UCSD hockey team finished their season with seven wins, 11 losses, and a tie. Although it was not its best season, the team did have spurts of success, including a string of three victories over the University of Texas, UCLA and Cal State Northridge.

Men’s Lacrosse

Under new coach John Hughes and with offensive all-star Nick Dean always on the attack, UCSD lacrosse had another solid season. With an overall record of 9-7, including an upset win over Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, UCSD climbed the 2004 polls, ranking as high as No. 16 in the nation.

Women’s Lacrosse

After several tough seasons, the UCSD women’s lacrosse team was looking to turn around. Under the direction of new coach Karen Lawrence, the team fought hard and squeaked out a few victories, led offensively by senior Elaine Lui. UCSD finished No. 6 in the Western Women’s Lacrosse League. The team also earned a bid to compete in and host the WWLL playoffs.

Men’s Rugby

The men’s rugby team’s highlight this season was a big win over Long Beach State. The team looks to rebuild its lineup for next season.

Women’s Rugby

Consistently one of the best teams UCSD has to offer, the women’s rugby team finished another season undefeated and pushed their way far into the Collegiate Rugby Championships scheme before being eliminated by Penn State. The team reworked their dynamics for this season, moving several key players and stressing the need for teamwork. The changes seemed to have paid off, especially after earning key victories over UC Santa Barbara and Arizona.

Sailing

The sailing team capped its season with a pair of strong showings at San Francisco Bay and the Women’s Pacific Coast Championships in Hawaii. The team finished fourth in the southern standings. With continuing support of alumni and generous donations, UCSD sailing hopes to continue to grow and fight for top honors.

Snow Skiing

Traveling to Mammoth Mountain on a near-weekly basis, the snow skiing team, led by captain Patrick Wilcox, is one of the hardest-competing teams on campus. Overall, UCSD snow skiing finished second in the Southern California Collegiate Snowsport Conference, although many of its skiers finished in first. The female skiers, led by senior racer Danielle Crockett, won almost every event during the season.

Surfing

Coming off its National Championship victory, the UCSD surf team had high expectations for the year. With several solid surfers, including shortboarders Zach Plopper and Loryn Wilson, the team put up big stats throughout the season. Unfortunately, a loss to Mira Mesa College ended the team’s bid for a second consecutive championship.

Triathlon

The summer season has just begun for the UCSD triathlon competitors. Led by captain Chris Richardson and other athletes, including John Burke and all-star Brendan O’Brien, the team has high expectations. The team just finished the Wildflower Triathlon, where they finished in fourth place.

Men’s Ultimate

The Air Squids barely missed a bid to nationals, but performed solidly at every game. Led by captains Tannin Schmidt and Andy Sammons, the team honed its skills and teamwork. At the UCSD-hosted President’s Day tournament, UCSD went 8-2 and advanced to the quarterfinals. Another notable finish was at Stanford, where the Air Squids placed second.

Women’s Ultimate

Former national champions, the UCSD Psychos stirred up the competition with their fierce offense and stifling defense. Led by captain Alicia White, the team had several notable wins, including a first-place finish at the President’s Day Tournament, and a second-place finish at Stanford. The team advanced to the semifinals in the National Championship Playoffs, but lost to eventual champion UC Davis.

Waterski

The waterskiing team had another solid season this year, with talent on both the men’s and women’s sides. Although several of their top skiers are graduating, including Tim Odell, Steve Simpson, David Wiens and Jeff Orr, the team looks to maintain its skill. With a third consecutive National Collegiate Tournament appearance in its sight for the fall, this team is ready to take on the Western Conference once again and maintain its position as one of the elite in collegiate waterskiing teams.

Wrestling

The small but formidable UCSD wrestling team had several strong finishes this season, including a second-place finish at the San Jose Invitational. UCSD wrestlers have also had numerous individual wins, including several by captain Kyle Kleinschmidt. The team also hosted the first San Diego Open wrestling tournament in February.

$2515
    $5000