Women whomped by BYU-Hawaii

On April 2, the UCSD women’s tennis team fell to No. 1 BYU-Hawaii in an overwhelming 9-0 loss on the first day of the University of West Florida Invitational in Pensacola, Fla.

The Tritons were unable to fend off undefeated BYU-Hawaii in doubles, earning only three games in all of the doubles matches. In singles, the ladies did not fare much better: the only Triton not to lose in straight sets was No. 3 sophomore Tara Siddiqui. Siddiqui played an extraordinary match against 25th-ranked Anna Lewis. Siddiqui was able to win the first set, 6-4, and then lost the second set, 4-6, before losing the tie-breaker, 5-10.

The defeat puts the Tritons’ overall season record at 12-7 with two matches remaining to be played against No. 4 West Florida and No. 13 Delta State University in the tournament. This was the second straight loss for the Tritons.

On March 31, the Tritons lost to No. 21 Hawaii-Hilo in a close 6-3 match. The Tritons headed into the singles line-up with a 2-1 lead, due to big wins from No. 2 doubles Siddiqui and freshman Kristin Bronowicki, and No. 3 doubles, sophomores Allison Ishii and Jenna Ishii.

Siddiqui and Bronowicki beat their opponents, 8-4, while the Ishii sisters defeated Dorothee Beauvir and Tiana Lum-Tucker, 8-3.

Unfortunately, the Tritons only picked-up one match in the singles line-up, as junior Jasmin Dao impressively took Michiko Tanaka in a quick 6-2, 6-2 match. Siddiqui was able to take her opponent to three sets after losing the first, 3-6, then winning the second, 6-3, and finally losing the last set, 6-4.

The Tritons will face Cal State San Bernardino and league opponent Point Loma Nazarene before hosting the CCAA Championship on April 16 and April 17.

$2515
    $5000