Women’s basketball loses twice

The UCSD women’s basketball team lost both games on its most recent road trip. An 83-67 loss to Chico State on Feb. 20 and a 72-66 loss to UC Davis on Feb. 21 dropped the Tritons’ record to 12-11 overall and 8-10 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association.

David Ung
    Guardian file

Chico State’s impressive shooting performance was too much for UCSD to handle. The Wildcats shot 55 percent in the first half to take a 36-28 lead. The Tritons’ shooting was much better in the second half, but it was no match for the amazing 62 percent that Chico State shot in the second half. The Wildcats cruised to victory and recorded their eighth win in a row, improving their record to 15-7 overall and 11-6 in the CCAA.

Michelle Pietka and Kara Scheitlin each recorded 17 points in the victory for Chico State, while two other Wildcats scored in double digits. Chico State shot 59 percent from the field compared to UCSD’s 39 percent.

Redshirt freshman guard Kim Buffum led Triton scoring with 16 points. Junior forward Margaret Johnson added 14 points and seven rebounds. Senior guard Ali Ginn had 11, and junior center Stacy Bolton-Gallagher had a game-high 11 rebounds.

On Feb. 21, UC Davis won the second matchup between the teams by almost the same score as the previous meeting on Jan. 16, 73-68. The teams traded leads to start the game, and it remained close until Davis went on a 12-0 scoring run to lead 23-13. The Tritons were able to cut into the lead, but they still trailed by four points at halftime, 37-33.

UCSD fought back in the second half, even as it trailed by 11 points, and cut the lead to one with just over five minutes remaining. Clutch free-throw shooting by the Aggies ensured them the victory, and UC Davis hung on for a 72-66 win, improving their record to 15-9 overall and 10-8 in the CCAA.

Jennifer Decuir had a game-high 20 points for the Aggies, while Jessica Campbell chipped in with 14 points and seven rebounds.

Freshman forward Hillary Hansen led the Tritons with a double-double, scoring 13 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. Freshman guard Leora Juster added 12 points and six assists. Ginn put in 10 to move just 26 points away from becoming UCSD’s all-time leading scorer.

The Tritons will play their last home games of the season when they face Cal State Dominguez Hills on Feb. 27 and Cal State Los Angeles on senior night, Feb. 28. Both games will be at RIMAC Arena at 5:30 p.m. UCSD will finish its season on the road against Cal State San Bernardino and Cal Poly Pomona on March 5 and March 6, respectively.

$2515
    $5000