Album Reviews: Lizz Wright

If Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald and Abbey Lincoln had a love child in Georgia 23 years ago, it would be Lizz Wright.

Salt, Wright’s debut release from celebrated jazz label Verve, is the revival of classy, elegant jazz of the 1920s with a modern 21st-century twist. Wright has a gorgeously soulful alto voice that creates a lyrical melody for each word she purrs. Seasoned jazz musicians contribute beautifully sophisticated instrumental arrangements to complement Wright’s surprisingly mature vocal styling. Her lyrics are an afterthought to the trance of her voice, and are of a rather trite class of a ³country girl in the big city² exploration of feelings. However, with her amazing voice, the sophisticated instrumental arrangements and industry legend producers (Tommy LiPulma, Brian Blade, and Jon Cowherd), Salt is barely halted by the slightly underdeveloped songwriting.

This debut is what the modern jazz world needs, a charming chanteuse with vocal talent to hold her weight for the next generation of jazz music.

$2515
    $5000