UCSD Womenís Soccer Remains Undefeated

The fourth-ranked UCSD womenís soccer team was focused on their play Friday night at RIMAC Field and avoided a second consecutive upset to CSU Los Angeles. After a stunning 2-1 defeat last year to the Golden Eagles of Los Angeles, the Tritons blanked the visiting Eagles.

Tyler Huff/Guardian
    In pursuit: UCSD¹s sophomore Lindsey Treankler tries to win the ball from a CSU Los Angeles player in the Tritons¹ shutout of the Golden Eagles on Sept. 26. UCSD will next be in action on Oct. 3, hosting Chico State at 7 p.m.

“”We definitely did not want what happened last year to happen again,”” senior Shannon Harrelson said. “”We wanted to get some revenge and we were focused.””

The Tritons were in control throughout the game on offense, out-shooting CSULA 23-5 and taking 12 corner kicks compared to zero by the Golden Eagles. The Tritons were able to finally score in the 42nd minute when senior Christine Wensel kicked a free kick to freshman Megan Dickey, who then lofted an excellent cross to the back post where senior Kristen Conahan headed the ball in.

“”Kristen scored the goal,”” said Harrelson, “”but the announcer and the press gave credit to me, so I want Kristen to get credit.””

In the second half, things became heated between the two teams. There was a fight and then Golden Eagle Paula Wizel received a red card at 54:32. (I need more details! ‚bk)

“”They were talking a lot, and we knew they liked to play a rough, physical game,”” sophomore Kristina De La Rosa said.

Just 28 seconds after the red card ejection, the Tritons were able to score again. The senior All-American Kristin Jones scored her third goal of the season on the pass from freshman Kelly Cochran.

“”We were able to keep our cool and come right back and score,”” De La Rosa said.

The Tritons defense did its part when it had to. Junior Jamie Lautenschleger in only her second start at goalie for the Tritons had two saves over the first 55 minutes, while sophomore Allison Berger added one more stop.

With the win, the Tritons remain undefeated on the season at 8-0, 6-0 in the CCAA. Cal State drops to 2-7, and 1-5 in the CCAA. The Tritons next hosted No. 21 Cal State Dominguez Hills, which is also undefeated in the CCAA at 6-0, but results were not available at press time.

$2515
    $5000