'Tomb Raider' star answers tough questions

Angelina Jolie is back playing the role of ass-kicking, evil-fighting action hero Lara Croft in the second installation of the “”Tomb Raider”” series, based on the popular video games. Jolie first broke onto the scene in the 1995 movie “”Hackers,”” but really made waves with her role as Lisa Rowe in “”Girl, Interrupted”” — a role that won her the 2000 Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. Since then, she has played in a variety of different roles, proving herself to be one of the most versatile actors around.

Guardian: How do you feel about all the reports on the relationship between violence in movies/video games and violence in children?

Angelina Jolie: Well, as a mother, I am very aware of it. There are certain subtleties to the story that I try to make sure were included. For example, I wanted to make sure that the only time she ever killed anyone was out of self-defense or to protect a loved one.

G: Describe your work with the United Nations.

AJ: It’s completely changed me. It’s changed my outlook, and it has definitely touched my life. Every time I do this sort of work, it keeps me connected to what life is really about.

G: Do you plan on doing any independent films?

AJ: When I have some spare time! But what’s interesting is that “”Original Sin”” was intended to be an arthouse film, but was not marketed that way.

G: How did you train to do your own stunts?

AJ: The workouts were different for the first film versus the second one. With the first film, I had so much focus on protein powders, power bars, etc., and I spent a lot of time working out. But with this one, since I have [son] Maddox, I couldn’t do that. I ate what I felt like and would do running, cardio… But the most exhausting activity is definitely playing with my son.

G: Why did you decide to do this sequel to the first “”Tomb Raider?””

AJ: There were many things about the first film that were unfinished to me. I wanted to explore the character of Lara Croft more and find out more about her.

G: Do you still find that some things constantly stretch you as an actress?

AJ: It’s a constant learning process. It is easier to go into a darker place such as “”Girl, Interrupted”” … it’s hard to stand up in the center of a room like with “”Tomb Raider.”” It’s unnatural to me. I learned about loosening myself up with these films.

G: Will you be involved with a third movie at all?

AJ: I’m open to it if this one is well-received. I would want to make sure it’s even better than the second one.