UCLA crowned champs at Canyonview

UCSD hosted the third National Collegiate Athletic Association Women’s Water Polo National Championships at Canyonview Pool on May 10 and May 11. The tournament included squads from the University of Indiana, Loyola Marymount University, UCLA and Stanford University (seeded from one through four, respectively).

Adam Breckler

Although the five-time champion Tritons did not make it to this year’s event, UCSD head coach Larry Sanders was excited to host the final four.

“”To be able to host the tournament is a great thing,”” Sanders said. “”This was an opportunity to show off UCSD to potential recruits. Our pool is one of the best pools around and this was a great opportunity for us to show that UCSD cares about polo.””

Along with the facilities they already have, plans are in the works to break ground on another pool at the Canyonview facility in May 2004.

“”Everything’s basically in place,”” said Associate Athletic Director Ken Grosse. “”With the construction, we have to find a time when we can close down the pool for a few weeks during construction.””

On May 10, top-seeded Stanford began the tournament by stomping fourth seed Indiana 13-2 in the early game behind three goals from Lauren Boreta.

Behind a balanced scoring attack, number two seed UCLA knocked off third seed LMU (out of UCSD’s Western Water Polo Association) 8-2 behind a balanced scoring attack. Three players scored two goals apiece for the Bruins, who earned a spot against Stanford in the final.

In the early game on Sunday, LMU beat Indiana 5-2 before the national championship game between Stanford and UCLA.

In the final, the Bruins came back from a 2-0 deficit to defeat the Cardinal by a final of 4-3.

“”Anytime you can bring a national championship to campus, it’s positive for your school,”” Grosse said. “”It shows your importance and adds to your reputation.””

This season, the Triton women were one game away from the final four, but lost to LMU in the WWPA Championship.

“”UCSD has a great history in this sport,”” Grosse said. “”The women’s sport is still growing, but UCSD historically has been a powerhouse.””

The event was the third water polo championship held at Canyonview Pool and the first for the women’s championship.

“”UCSD’s done a great job,”” said UC Davis head coach and NCAA rules committee member Jamey Wright.

$2515
    $5000