A.S. Council At A Glance

Items of Immediate Consideration

Item B

The A.S. Council unanimously approved the commission of an ad hoc task force that will look at revising A.S. Election Bylaws. Penned by Thurgood Marshall College sophomore senator Jeff Le, the task force charter states that the ad hoc group “”shall serve to research, evaluate and reform the ASUCSD Election Bylaws that could be implemented at UCSD in order to improve the electoral process.”” According to the charter, the task force will provide the A.S. Council with recommendations and advice on what changes should be made to current bylaws by second week of spring quarter 2004. The voting bloc of the task force will be composed of one representative from each college council, two representatives from the A.S. Council and four at-large representatives. The task force will meet biweekly and meetings are to be well publicized and “”accessible to interested students.””

Item C

A proposed amendment to the A.S. Constitution that would have added the stipulation “”shall never have sexually harassed anyone”” to Qualifications for Officers failed to reach the council floor. Submitted by Jenn Brown and co-sponsored by Navneet Grewal and Amy Uyeshima, the amendment did not receive a motion to make IOIC and died accordingly.

Reports

Commissioner of Services and Enterprises Jeremy Gallagher

Gallagher reported that he had requested legislation for the Grove Cafe that would award managers at the Grove 1 percent of the Grove’s accumulated profit in a year, provided the enterprise made at least $10,000.

Eleanor Roosevelt College freshman senator Max Harrington

Harrington reported that the Campus/Community Planning Committee rejected a proposal for an A.S. ropes course to be located in the Eucalyptus grove below RIMAC Arena. Council members are currently working on drafting a new proposal with a new location for the ropes course, which would generate funds for the ASUCSD.

Old Business

After pulling to the council floor an amendment to A.S. Election Bylaws that would make candidate disqualification require a three-quarters vote of the Elections Committee, the A.S. Council voted 9-8-1 to refer the amendment and several others regarding elections reform to the newly created A.S. Task Force on Electoral Revision. The council was split between those who argued the task force would be better suited to address issues of election reform and those who felt that the A.S. Council should, as a representative body, address the issue itself. Jeff Le, who authored most of the proposed reforms in addition to the charter for the task force, expressed disappointment that the council was not willing to tackle the amendments itself. Proposed amendments included candidate notification of possible bylaws violations, making the misleading of voters a punishable violation and definitions of the terms “”poster,”” “”campaign,”” “”classroom campaigning”” and “”preponderance of evidence.””

A.S. Meeting No. 30 was the final meeting of this year’s A.S. Council. The new A.S. Council held a special meeting following A.S. Meeting No. 30.

— Compiled by Clayton Worfolk

Senior Staff Writer

$2515
    $5000