hiatus calendar

Thursday 4/10/03

It may not seem like it now, but your UCSD education will get you somewhere; just ask UCSD alumnus Andrea Stolowitz. Stolowitz has been writing plays and watching them get performed at the Globe Theatres in Balboa Park. Not bad. Her newest play, “”Knowing Cairo”” will be at the Cassius Carter Center Stage and tells the story of three very different women and their relationships. Stolowitz has premiered several of her plays at the Globe since 1999. “”Knowing Cairo”” runs through May 11. For information or tickets call (619) 239-2255.

Friday 4/11/03

Want to listen to some great music and help people at the same time? Well, you’re in luck because the Light for Life Foundation of Southern California is holding a charity concert to benefit the Yellow Ribbon Suicide Prevention Program. This night of music and humanity will feature music by Straight No Chaser, The Halo Effect, Short of Glory, Fork, A Vital Few and Causeway and will be held at the Epicentre in Mira Mesa at 7:30 p.m. Tickets at $10 and are sold at the door. For more info visit their Web site http://www.yellowribbonsd.org.

Those good ‘ole’ folkie revolutionaries are back and they’re still performing for a cause … or several of them. Peter, Paul and Mary will perform another guaranteed great show at the California Center for the Arts in Escondido. Proceeds from the show will go to benefit various organizations including the American Civil Liberties Union, the Children’s Defense Fund, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Greenpeace and more. The show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $20 to $65. For information call (800) 988-4253.

Saturday 4/12/03

It may sound weird, but it’s also incredibly fun. See Dread Zeppelin when they perform their unique brand of their serious yet comical music at Cane’s. The rockers are known for their Elvis impersonations and reggae covers of Led Zeppelin songs. And who could ever forget their great nicknames like Tortelvis, Butt Boy or Bob Knarley. For a good time, come by when the show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $12.

It wasn’t long ago that the oh-so-adorable Southern California punk band the Ataris went big, and they continue to garner new fans everyday. This weekend, they will play at Soma along with Juliana Theory, Further Seems Forever, and Yellowcard. The show starts at 6 p.m. and tickets are $15 for advance sale. Get tickets before they sell out, because this is sure to be a popular concert.

Sunday 4/13/03

The 19th Annual San Diego International Film Festival hosted by UCSD in the Price Center Theater will once again bring you a great selection of movies both feature-length and shorts from around the world. This year, the festival faced financial problems because of university budget cuts but the UEO still managed to put together a great array of films. Come visit and show support by coming to the remaining days. See the comical Chinese film “”Marriage Certificate”” at 7 p.m. on April 13. This film recounts a family marriage through the diary of a teenage girl. The festival runs through April 18 and will feature many great films from such countries as Iran, Mexico, Palestine and others. For more information, contact the UCSD Box Office at (858) 534-4559. Tickets range from $65 for a festival pass to $5 for students to individual movies.

The seven-piece band that is Flogging Molly returns to San Diego for another round! Tonight they will play at The Scene with the Supersuckers. The group that has successfully managed to throw everything together from mandolins to whistles will bring their singular sounds to an all-ages concert that should attract everyone. Check out this internationally recognized band when doors open at 7:30 p.m. For tickets and information call (858) 505-9111.

Tuesday 4/15/03

UCSD is nationally recognized for its theater program, which has become overshadowed by its accomplishments in scientific research, but April will be the month that UCSD’s Department of Theatre and Dance will shine! This month marks the annual UCSD New Play Festival which showcases over two weeks of excellent new and original theater productions by UCSD MFA students. Check out the first play “”Spin Moves”” at 8 p.m. in Galbraith Hall Studio 157. Admission is $12, UCSD affiliates and seniors $10, and $6 for students. For more information visit http://theatre.ucsd.edu/newplayfest/npf.html.

Wednesday 4/16/03

The blues-rock boogie band The Destroyers and George Thurgood (lead singer and guitarist) will be paying a long needed visit to San Diego when they visit 4th and B tonight. You may remember several of their great hits like “”Bad to the Bone,”” “”No particular place to go”” and “”One bourbon, one scotch, one beer.”” They are also famous for doing covers of John Lee Hooker and Elvis. Doors open at 7 p.m. Don’t miss what promises to be a very fun show. Tickets range from $29.50 to $32.