hiatus calendar

Thursday 01/30/03

If electronic music is your love, then you have to check out Thunderball at The Pirates Den in downtown San Diego. The talented duo consists of DJs and live performers Sid Barcelona and Steve Raskin. Instead of the tedious beats of traditional house music, they will deliver a more sophisticated and downbeat set of tunes that will give you a newfound respect for electronica. Also playing are The Parallel Mechanics with T-Low & Ad-Lib. Tickets are a bargain at $5. For more information call (858) 831-1644.

Friday 01/31/03

Feminists don’t have to preach and be militant. Now there are more artful ways of expressing their beliefs; the Eveoke Dance Theatre will bring “”Women Rebels”” as a grand performance that celebrates the achievements of females past and present. The ambitious production will be performed by over 30 dancers and will run through Feb. 9. There will only be eight shows at the Lyceum Theatre in Horton Plaza, so buy your tickets early! Tickets are $20 for general admission and $15 for students and seniors; Thursdays and Sundays are “”pay what you can”” days. For information call (619) 238-1153 or visit http://www.eveoke.org.

Nostalgic for spandex-clad, big-haired rockers of the ’80s? Quiet Riot will fix that right up when they perform at Canes Bar & Grill. Sure, they’re middle-aged now and out of the music loop, but we mustn’t forget their top-selling album, “”Mental Health,”” which had such great songs as the remake of Slade’s “”Cum on Feel the Noize.”” They may have dropped out of the music scene after that album, but they’re still hanging in strong with a steady fan base and extensive touring. The show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $20. For information call (858) 488-1780.

Saturday 01/01/03

If you’re tired of the commercialized music that is fed to you by record companies and radio stations, then check out Side A/Side B, an entirely new and innovative concert at Erickson Hall B-210 (beneath Mandeville), featuring performances of talented musicians and composers including Michael Vlatkovich, George Lewis, Marques Lyons, Scott Walton and many many more. The show will include improvisational performances of jazz, funk, hip hop and other forms of avant-garde music. The show starts at 8 p.m. and is free. All ages are welcome. For more information e-mail [email protected].

If you want to listen to delightful, world-class music and help people, too, then head on over to the Sherwood Auditorium in La Jolla, where the world-renowned Filipino tenor Nolyn Cabahug will perform with Carol Anne Drastal (soprano), Stephen Chan (baritone) and John Danke (piano) for the Small Opera of San Diego. The proceeds of the benefit will go toward the Lazarideus Foundation to support young local artists. Tickets start at $25 and the show starts at 7 p.m. For more information call (619) 461-2711 or visit http://www.smalloperasandiego.org.

Sunday 01/02/03

Formed by past Guns ‘N’ Roses guitarist Tracii Guns, the band L.A. Guns, which had the hit “”Cocked and Loaded”” in 1988, will play at Brick by Brick at 7:30 p.m. The metal band seemed to have vanished in the early ’90s, but it will show you how much oomph they still have left. For tickets and information call (619) 275-5483.

Don’t settle for recycled pop when you can listen to a real live blues legend! Bobby “”Blue”” Bland will bring his patented and inviting performance to 4th and B at 7 p.m. Also playing are Oscar Barbens and Len Rainey & Midnight Players. Be prepared for an evening of fun and great music. Tickets are $20 at the door. For more information (619) 231-4343.

Tuesday 01/04/03

You’ve got to love recording artists with a sense of humor. The alternative honky-tonk/Americana quintet BR549 named themselves after a phone number in a “”Hee Haw”” skit. The quintet hails from Nashville and is touring to promote it’s 2001 album “”This is BR549.”” For a night of good fun and great music, make your way to The Casbah, where BR549 will play at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $15. For information call (619) 232-4355.

Latin music is often equated with Menudo and mariachi bands, but Latin party music exists as well. The Venezuelan band Los Amigos Invisibles plays an eclectic mix of acid jazz, funk, rock, merengue, disco and rock that is unique and fun. You won’t be able to sit still with this supercharged music enveloping you. To hear the hit party band that is gaining popularity in the United States and Mexico, you’ll have to pay $12 and see them at the Belly-Up Tavern. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. For more information call (858) 481-9022.

Wednesday 01/05/03

For true fans of Bob Marley, listening to the band that originally backed Marley would be mandatory. The Wailers, the band that rose with Marley, have struggled to survive these past few decades after the death of Marley in 1981 and other unfortunate losses, but with constant touring and hard work, the Wailers have remained true to their Jamaican and reggae roots. See them for yourself when they perform at Belly Up Tavern at 9 p.m. Tickets are $22. For information call (858) 481-8140.