East Coast native Ari Hest to bring acoustic rock to Twiggs

After a long, crazy weekend, what could be better than unwinding with a fabulous acoustic singer/songwriter at a local coffee shop? East-Coast native Ari Hest is coming to Twigg’s on Jan. 21, and if the show is anything like his other ones, it will be amazing.

Music runs strong in Hest’s family: His father is a college music professor and his mother is a professional singer. His father had him singing at the young age of 7, but it wasn’t until the later days of high school that he began to use music as his refuge. He was inspired by bands like Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins, along with artists like Dave Matthews and Jeff Buckley. These influences are evident in his own songs, and can be heard when he does covers at shows.

With a voice reminiscent of James Taylor and Peter Gabriel, Hest has gone from being a college student playing out his hobby for other students to being a career musician. He recorded his first LP, “”Incomplete,”” while in his sophomore year at NYU, and soon followed it up with his second album, “”Come Home.”” After a lot of composing and touring, he released his latest album, “”Story After Story.””

Since fall of 2001, Hest has played more than 200 shows at clubs and campuses, and all this experience has given him a reputation as an outstanding live performer. With beautiful songs like “”Caught Up In Your Love”” and “”Didn’t Want to Say Goodbye,”” Hest has been picking up fans all over the country. His honest, easy voice and rare talent for good songwriting doesn’t hurt him either.

Hest’s enthusiasm for every show he plays is almost a guarantee for a good show on the 21st. With an adjoining Green Room, Twigg’s also promises to be a good venue for his acoustic talent, sans the noise of people and espresso machines. But hey, if you’re one of those rare people who can’t stand the music, at least you can get decent cup of coffee.