San Deigo Holiday theater preview

Whoo hoo! It’s that time of the year again! Time for holly and tinsel, dreidels and latkes, Mazao and Kinara. It’s time for “”It’s a Wonderful Life,”” “”Miracle on 34th Streetm,”” and by some cruel trick of nature, “”Eight Crazy Nights”” – I mean how many voices can Adam Sandler actually do? Well, we here at the GUARDIAN wanted to give all you loyal readers other options with which to entertain yourselves this Holiday Season. There are classic plays, one-man shows and art festivals that will blow your mind with holiday cheer … of a sense.

CHARLES DICKENS’ “”A CHRISTMAS CAROL””

Nov. 30 – Dec. 29

San Diego Repertory Theater

Price: $23-$35 (Special student discounts on season packages)

http://www.sandiegorep.com

JACOB MARLEY’S A CHRISTMAS CAROL

Nov. 21-Dec. 29

North Coast Repertory Theater, Solana Beach

Price: $25-27 (Special student discounts on season packages)

http://www.northcoastrep.org

If you are the type who is looking for more than the “”standard holiday plays”” this winter, this new production may be for you. “”Jacob Marley’s Christmas Carol”” is the story behind Dickens’ holiday classic. After his death, Jacob Marley is condemned by the powers-that-be for his humanity. Horrified by his fate, he begs for a chance to redeem himself. If he can bring about the reform of the one person on earth who is a worse curmudgeon than he was in life, he can escape his doom. “”Jacob Marley’s Christmas Carol”” is a new twist on a holiday favorite that blends the receptivity of Dickens with a taste for fairy tales and contemporary wit. Ron Choularton will star in this one-man tour-de-force production. This original play, written by Tom Mula and directed by Sean Murray, made its San Diego premier one week before Thanksgiving.

LAMB’S PLAYERS “”FESTIVAL OF CHRISTMAS””

Dec. 3-29

Lamb’s Player Theater

Price: $20-40, (mid-week discount matinees TBA)

1142 Orange Avenue

http://www.lambsplayers.org

Each year there is a different script by a new playwright, and this San Diego winter tradition has become a community favorite. It is a warm celebration filled with music of the season. This season, the Lamb’s Players production features a poet, a preacher, an entrepreneur and a wayfaring stranger that become neighbors in a downtown redevelopment. What will happen when a bit of mischief and a bit of Christmas magic push these four unlikely characters onto the same stage? Only time can tell.

Festival of Lights: A Menorah Show

Oct. 13-Dec. 17

Gallery Alexander, La Jolla

(858) 459-9433

There are still two nights of Hannukah left! Gallery Alexander presents “”Festival of Lights”” – its seventh annual Menorah show. This unique event will host a wide selection of hanukias, dreidels, Hannukah plates, mezuzzot, candles and other Judaica created by artists from around the world. Yes, it is disturbing that the only Hannukah “”art and entertainment”” to be found outside of a temple throughout all of San Diego is an art fair that is already three-quarters of the way over. The designs range from traditional to whimsical and contemporary, and are handcrafted from glass, ceramic, various woods and distinct metals.

“”Dr. Seuss How the Grinch Stole Christmas””

(preview Nov. 17-20) Nov. 21-Dec. 31

Old Globe Theatre, Balbo Park

Price: $20-$50

Pay homage to the USCD library namesake while rekindling that old familiar yuletide flame. The Dr. Seuss classic comes alive in Balboa Park, and to miss it would be a Christmas crisis. Watch all the bright-eyed, shiny-faced Whos down in Whoville ring in the holiday cheer with their heavenly harmonization. Ignorance is bliss until they learn about how the Grinch is excitedly expanding an evil scheme to abscond with all of Whoville’s presents. Keep an eye out for little Cindy Lou Who, who manages to impede the grief the Grinch tries (unsuccessfully) to give. Feel your own heart grow during this not-to-be-missed Christmas treat.

“”Come Out for the Holidays: The Decembers We Remember””

Dec. 7 and 8

Spreckels Theater

Price: $15-$35

(619) 275-ARTS

The Gay Men’s Chorus of San Diego is backed by a full, lively orchestra while it belts out festive tunes in their annual show. They’re gay, they’re men, it’s a chorus — what more could you ask for? Even the title claims that the night will help to relive all those favorite holiday memories, music and merriment: Remember all those past Decembers? During winter break? When finals are over? Yes, December IS a time for celebration. Celebrate good times, come on! Make this performance part of your holiday tradition. The chorus will deck Spreckels Hall with sprit, booming voices and plenty of vivacious holiday jubilation.

“”The SantaLand Diaries””

(preview Dec. 4) Dec. 5-Dec. 24

Cassius Carter Centre Stage

The Globe Theatres, Balboa Park

Price: $25-$50

(619) 239-2255

It’s like National Public Radio live, with a splash of Santa. Confused? Not to worry, it’ll all be explained. NPR master satirist David Sedaris wrote this one-man show, which is a sardonic look at the holiday craziness through the eyes of a Macy’s elf. Arnie Burton, who plays the elf with inspired comedic timing, hops about the stage in a rather ridiculous-looking elf costume while he becomes cynical and dispirited at the hordes of holiday shoppers. Go shopping for a few hours before hitting the play to fully relate to someone who takes the holiday season with a grain of salt. You will never look at an elf the same way again.

“”Silent Night, Lonely Night””

Dec. 5 – Jan. 4

Actor’s Asylum, El Cajon

Price: $15-16

(619) 465-3742

This holiday season, Actor’s Asylum Productions presents “”Silent Night, Lonely Night.”” Written by Robert Anderson during the middle of the 20th century, this play explores the relationship between two solitary people on Christmas Eve. Anderson has been described by the NEW YORK TIMES as “”the dramatist of loneliness,”” and this play delves in to the loneliness of a couple trying their best to get through their own personal crises — as well as the holiday season — while keeping their sanity.

“”The Nutcracker””

Dec. 19 – Dec. 2

Civic Theatre, and

Dec. 28 and 29

Poway Center for the Performing Arts

This holiday classic is once again brought to life by the California Ballet Company. Based on E.T.A. Hoffmann’s story, “”The Nutcracker and the Mouse King,”” which was first published in 1819, “”The Nutcracker”” tells the story of a young girl who receives a toy nutcracker from her favorite uncle for Christmas. That night, she falls asleep and dreams that her nutcracker has come to life in the form of a handsome prince who firsts saves her from the evil Mouse King and then transports her though a magical snowfall to the magical Kingdom of Sweets. Set to Tchaikovsky’s memorable score, this is a wonderful holiday experience for audiences of all ages.

“”Holiday Memories””

Playing through Dec. 22

The Stage, La Jolla

Price $10 – $22

(858) 459-7773.

Based on a collection of magazine articles by Truman Capote, Russell Vandenbroucke masterfully compiles them into the wonderfully crafted holiday play “”Holiday Memories,”” which is being performed by the La Jolla Stage Company this season. These stories show the humorous, the emotional, the confusing, the upsetting and the wonderful parts of the holidays when families come together to share this magical season with each other. Beginning on Thanksgiving and lasting through Christmas Day, this performance considers questions how real and tangible memories are, as well as how much can we trust our mind’s eye to clearly recall our childhood memories of holiday celebrations.

“”Nutcracker 2002″”

Dec. 20 – 22

Jewish Community Center, La Jolla

Price: $20 – $25

(858) 362-1348

The Ballet Arts will present this classic ballet of fantasy and Christmas enjoyment this holiday season, and audiences of all ages will enjoy this fanciful tale of Christmas mischief and whimsy. “”Nutcracker 2002″” is an extravagant production that includes exuberant costumes that light up the stage and classical music that sets a blissful atmosphere. The David and Dorothea Garfield Theatre is an intimate setting to view this endearing ballet. “”Nutcracker 2002″” will bring much joy to the holiday season and should not be missed. The Box Office is open Monday through Friday and the hours are from noon to 5 p.m., one hour prior to performance.

“”Jesus Christ Superstar””

Dec. 3-8

San Diego Civic Theatre

Price: $65

(619) 570-1100

Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s play first debuted in 1971 and has been electrifying audiences ever since. This biblical rock opera has engaged audiences for many years and is now coming to the San Diego Civic Theatre/Downtown. “”Jesus Christ Superstar”” is the retelling of the last seven days of Jesus of Nazareth with added rock flair. The late ’80s rock star Sebastian Bach plays the lead, with film vet Carl Anderson as Judas. The production includes flashy costumes and make up, as well as some elaborate stage sets that will astound the audience. “”Jesus Christ Superstar”” also includes some memorable tunes, such as “”I Don’t Want to Love Him,”” “”Everything’s Alright”” and “”Superstar.”” This holiday musical is a good alternative among the more traditional holiday productions.

— To catch a glimpse of the quintessential Christmas play, join the San Diego Repertory Theater this 2002 holiday season. Directing the Charles Dickens’ novel-turned-stage production is none other than UCSD Theater and Dance faculty member Todd Salovey, the REP’s associate artistic director. Scrooge’s enchanted journey through his past, present and future will sparkle in this all-new version of America’s most popular holiday play. Unlike most modern productions of “”A Christmas Carol,”” the REP’s interpretation of the British masterpiece will be shown in its original 19th century setting (less “”Scroodged”” and more “”A Muppet Christmas Carol”” without the Muppets). The show will be running from now until Dec. 29.

Compiled by: Jessica Kruskamp – Senior Staff Writer, Jessica Long – Senior Staff Writer, Jonathan Josephson – Staff Writer and Adam Keleman – Contributing Writer.