Triton Plus expands to UTC eateries

Triton Plus is now accepted off campus at Chipotle and Islands in La Jolla Village Square and Baskin-Robbins in Costa Verde Shoppng Center.

Tibora Girczyc-Blum

The idea for the expansion was originally brought to Housing & Dining Services during the summer of 2001 by members of the A.S. Council, and has now been implemented at these three locations, to be eventually followed by others.

“”Chipotle, Islands and Baskin-Robbins are all on board and active right now,”” said Mark Cunningham, director of H&DS. “”There are seven others that we are in touch with and negotiating with right now.””

These restaurants and the seven others being pursued by H&DS are the top 10 choices based on the A.S. Council’s determination of convenience and appeal to students.

Cunningham cited the innovation of last year’s A.S. Council’s idea to expand Triton Plus off campus.

“”A.S. came to us last year and asked us about this,”” Cunningham said. “”We are a service organization and students are important to us, but we actually hadn’t thought about doing this until A.S. brought it to our attention.””

A.S. President Jenn Brown, who was A.S. vice president internal at the time that the council made the proposition to H&DS, said that Cuningham’s office was very supportive of the idea to expand Triton Plus off campus, though somewhat preoccupied with the implementation of its One Rate plan.

“”We brought the idea up to [H&DS] two summers ago, and they liked the idea, but they were really busy with the One Rate plan,”” Brown said. “”So their marketing team didn’t take it on until this last summer.””

Cunningham feels that the expansion will benefit students living both on and off campus, especially with the addition of the Cityshuttle to Transportation Services’ shuttle services.

“”With Cityshuttle, students are now going right by [La Jolla Village Square],”” Cunningham said. “”It just made so much sense to me [to expand TritonPlus].””

Cunningham addressed speculation that the expansion of Triton Plus off campus may have a negative impact on dining facilities on campus.

“”[The on-campus facilities] have a captured market,”” he said. “”[The expansion] isn’t going to change where I have lunch. We’re trying to be judicious. To me, the customer still has a lot of choices.””

Cunningham has high hopes for the success of the TritonPlus expansion.

“”I think it’s going to be driven by customers, but it’s really going to be up to the merchants to see how it goes.””

$2515
    $5000