hiatus calendar

Thursday 11/7/02

The bearded, smoking, guitar-playing man known as Badly Drawn Boy has just released his third album, “”Have You Fed the Fish.”” And what better way to promote his fun, happy pop album than to go on tour? To see the man who has been touted as the savior of British pop music, you need only shell out a mere $15 and steer yourself in the direction of Canes Bar and Grill. The show starts at 8 p.m. — don’t be late.

You’ve all seen those “”Illegal immigrant crossing”” signs on the San Diego freeway, but with the new documentary “”Frontier Life”” by local filmmaker and musician Hans Fjellestad, you’ll be able to see border life in a whole new light. Through his extraordinary use of images and sound, Fjellestad analyzes border culture and life in a stunning film. For a view of Tijuana and San Diego as you’ve never seen them before, see this new film at the Museum of Contemporary Art downtown where there will be a free screening at 8 p.m. Donations of $3 will be accepted.

Friday 11/8/02

Known for their hit “”Caught up in You,”” which streamed through radio stations all last year, Convoy is playing at The Casbah, where it will display its fine harmonizing and guitar-playing skills. Amazing enough to find a band with a good lead singer; Convoy boasts three of them, all of whom play guitar, to cover all of their bases. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. and tickets are $12. For more information call (619) 232-4355.

Young playwrights are now given the opportunity to exhibit their works, and it can’t get any better than at the Globe Theatre. The Playwrights Project, in its 10th year, works to discover and support writers 18 and younger. Some alumni of this program include Josefina Lopez, whose play, “”Real Women Have Curves,”” has just been turned into a movie; Annie Weisman, who wrote “”Be Aggressive;”” and Karen Hartman. If you want to see fresh talent before it becomes famous, you have until Nov. 9. Tickets range from $8 to $15, and for more information on shows and times call (619) 239-8222.

Saturday 11/9/02

When was the last time you heard a mandolin or an Irish penny whistle? Much too long? To make up for it, you can see Flogging Molly at 4th and B. The seven-piece group from Los Angeles released their second album, “”Drunken Lullabies,”” earlier in 2002, and now is your chance to see this amazing group. Tickets are $17.50 and the show starts at 8 p.m.

Indie pop fans can now breathe easy — The Anniversary is coming to San Diego. The Kansas band brings you all the energy you’d expect from a groups that give you guitars, keyboard and impressive pyrotechnics. With rave reviews from all over, The Anniversary will not disappoint. They play at The Casbah at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $10.

Sunday 11/10/02

Is punk guitar the only thing you ever hear anymore? Yearning for some classical guitar? Or maybe you just want to expand your horizons. Either way, check out “”Old Masters of Music and Art: Fred Bendetti”” at the San Diego Museum of Art, where early music from different centuries will be played on classical guitar. The show starts at 2 p.m. and is free with admission. For more information call (619) 232-7931.

You may think that dark, visceral punk doesn’t exist — but it does, as The Get Hustle will prove when they play at The Casbah. With great guitar, bass and a charismatic vocalist named Valentine, the band has not been lucky enough to become commercially popular, but it released “”Earth Odyssey”” in 2000 and are planning on releasing some of its original recordings. To check them out, you merely have to sacrifice $7 and be at The Casbah at 8:30 p.m.

Wednesday 11/13/02

Yay for piano playing girls! Vanessa Carlton, the Pennsylvanian who has made a name for herself as a singer/songwriter/pianist, distinguishes herself from those other female pop artists who can hardly do more than bare their bodies and prance around. Although popular for the poppish song “”1,000 Miles,”” Carlton has proven that she can pen songs with more adult themes. See her when she plays with Ben Lee at Canes Bar & Grill. The show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $15.

Frida Kahlo was not just a sexually liberated Mexican artist. She could also cook. Gringo’s Restaurant in Pacific Beach will offer a special dinner inspired by the recipes of Kahlo. Chef Victor Jimenez, who has always been intrigued by the artist, is timing the dinner to coincide with the release of the new Salma Hayek and Alfred Molina film (Nov. 8). The dinner is from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. Tickets for the meal are $45 without wine and $65 with wine.