hiatus calendar

Thursday 10/31/02

Looking for a killer party for Halloween? Then Downtown San Diego is the only place to be. No Knife, one of the most critically acclaimed San Diego alternative rock bands, is headlining the Casbah’s 16th Annual Halloween Party. These indie rockers try to avoid specific stereotypes and categories, but any way you put them, their eloquent and energetic music always results in shows that sell out to eclectic crowds of die-hard fans. If you want to experience it for yourself, the show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $20 presale and $25 at the door. For more information call (619) 232-4355.

Tired of all the drunken parties, or just can’t get into them? As an alternative, you can experience an evening of intrigue, romance and laughs at the Diversionary Theatre with its new production of “”The Mystery of Irma Vep.”” The play, originally written by Charles Ludlum in the 1980s, is a comedic spoof of every horror suspense genre, from Hitchcock’s “”Rebecca”” to Bronte’s “”Wuthering Heights.”” With two men playing eight different roles, including a lord, his bride, mummies, werewolves, vampires and many others, the play, which runs until Dec. 21, promises to have you rolling on the floor. Tickets are $18 on Sundays, and $20 on Fridays and Saturdays. For information call (619) 220-0097, or visit www.diversionary. org.

Friday 11/1/02

Support indie bands! Thought Riot, the fiercely independent and politically verbal band from Stockton, Calif., headlines a concert at Club Xanth. The band offers a unique blend of melody and punk music with songs that focus on political issues and the pleasures and pains of life. Playing with them will be local band Straight No Chaser and Better off Dead. The concert is for all ages, so all of you who are bummed ’cause you can’t go to most of the cool concerts can now smile. The show starts are 7 p.m. Tickets are $7.

What better way to follow up Halloween than to see Dismemberment Plan play at the Casbah? The indie punk rock emo band, famous for their frightening, frenzied synth music, hails from our nation’s capital. After spending a short time at Interscope Records (and a brief stint touring with Pearl Jam), the band was dropped and has since become a favorite in local music scenes. To hear the voice of lead singer Travis Morrison, who has been compared to Dave Matthews, check them out when the show starts at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $10.

Saturday 11/2/02

Youth culture may be exploited, but it never sounded so good. The Blood Brothers of Seattle will be opening for Open Hand, American Nothing and Glassjaw tonight at The Scene in Clairemont. Blood Brothers will make you appreciate youth culture and its decaying status with their distinctive songs, which bring you to a world of surreal images in an atmosphere of hardcore drums, sharp guitars and jumping, wailing singers. Be there when the show starts at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $12.

What could be weirder than a disco-clad Neil Diamond tribute band and an all-girl AC/DC cover band at one concert? Who knows? — But Super Neil and Hell’s Belles are sure to be an entertaining lineup. For those hardcore Diamond fans, Super Neil is the next best thing and they’ll almost transport you back to the days of bellbottom pants and sequined shirts. Hell’s Belles, on the other hand, will warp you back to when side pony tails and scrunch socks were all the rage when they sing their set of super-masculine tunes in their own unique manner. The show starts at 9:15 p.m. at the Belly up Tavern. Tickets are $18.

Sunday 11/3/02

Another great concert will be brought to you at the Casbah tonight when indie urban folk rocker Damien Jurado delivers his startling array of music. Originally from Seattle, Jurado has recently signed a contract with the Secretly Canadian label and is now making an album of his creepily poignant inner rocker. Check Jurado out when he plays at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $8.

Monday 11/4/02

Beenie Man may have a strange name, but do not dismiss him. You may remember him from his first American hit “”Who Am I?”” from 1998, but now he has returned with a new album chock full of interesting collaborations, as well as his own dancehall songs. The celebrated toaster will satisfy your taste for reggae when he plays at 8 p.m. at 4th and B. Tickets start at $17.50.

Tuesday 11/5/02

Have an extra minute on campus? Stop by The Grove Gallery to see the new exhibit, in which artists display wide range of digital fine art photography. Members of the San Diego group D-5 push the expectations of digital photography in their individual pieces. A special exhibition will be held from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Nov. 9, but you can check it out early. Admission is free and open to the public.

Wednesday 11/6/02

If you’ve watched VH1, then you’ve most likely seen the band Flickerstick on the reality-based television show, “”Bands on the Run.”” Although most gave them up for lost, they proved themselves to be not so bad for pop rockers, even if they get drunk and quarrel on national television. Now you super VH1 fans can see them live at Canes Bar and Grill at 7 p.m. Tickets are $12 and the show is for those 16 years old and up.