School of Management names founding dean

Robert S. Sullivan, Ph.D., dean of the Kenan-Flagler Business School at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, was appointed founding dean of the new Graduate Management School at UCSD last week. Sullivan’s appointment will begin Jan. 1, 2003, following approval from the UC Board of Regents.

http://www.ucsd.edu

In addition to UNC at Chapel Hill, Sullivan has also served as the dean of the Graduate School of Industrial Administration at Carnegie Mellon University, the director of the IC2 Institute, and the founder of the Texas Telecommunications Policy Institute at the University of Texas.

Sullivan’s resume reflects his international experience as an entrepeneur, with specialty in knowledge management and venture financing.

“”As a campus renowned for its research in advanced telecommunications and biotechnology, UCSD will benefit immensely from Dr. Sullivan’s appointment,”” said Chancellor Robert C. Dynes. “”His experiences, especially his work with entrepreneurs in the information and high-tech industries, will enhance not just UCSD, but the entire community.””

At UNC Chapel Hill Sullivan helped create the Weekend Executive MBA Program and the OneMBA Executive MBA Program.

In his five years as dean, Sullivan’s leadership helped propel Kenan-Flagler Business School into international renown.

At the University of Texas, Sullivan helped create new executive management programs in entrepreneurship and designed the Master of Science Degree in science and technology commercialization.

At Carnegie Mellon, he launched the Financial Analysis and Securities Trading program, which received praise from academic institutions like the Smithsonian Institute.

Sullivan has received many awards for his work in management science and is the author of numerous books and articles on business management.

“”As a renowned scholar and business school dean, Dr. Sullivan brings to UCSD exactly the kind of expertise we were looking for,”” said Marsha A. Chandler, senior vice chancellor for academic affairs. “”He will provide precisely the leadership and vision we sought in the founding dean of the management school.””

As dean, Sullivan will lead the way for a new management school, the goal of which is to tap into the technology-driven San Diego economy in a cooperative effort to teach graduates strong management skills.

Founders hope that the dynamic science and technology-based industries in the San Diego area will help the new school train professionals with knowledge in research and development, product innovation and commercialization, and technological transformations in global firms.

“”The management school will respond to the growing of California industry for personnel with strong management skills in these sectors,”” Dynes said. “”This program will allow us to continue the UC tradition of supporting the growth of technology intensive enterprises by providing specialized training to meet new needs in the marketplace.””

Located at the northwest portion of campus, the new school will be accepting its first class of students in September of 2004 at the earliest.

The inaugural class is expected to be comprised of 100 full-time students and 50 part-time students. A steady state-enrolled target of 600 full-time students, 500 part-time students and 50 students in the Ph.D. program is expected for the 2011-2012 academic year.

“”There is no better time and no better place in the world to reconsider and redefine graduate management education,”” Sullivan said on his appointment. “”The greater San Diego community is entrepreneurial, with new technology industries being created in many fields. I expect this new school to become recognized for excellence, innovation and impact on the communities it serves.””