hiatus calendar

Thursday 10/10/02

Everyone who thinks Balboa Park is only for girls and wimps needs to check out the new exhibit at the Automotive Museum. The exhibit, titled “”Customize,”” features more than a dozen fantastically modified low-riders, art cars, street customs and more. While you’re there, be sure to check out their great collection of vintage cars and motorcycles. The show runs until Jan. 26, 2003. The museum is open daily until 5 p.m. and admission is $7.

Now that Halloween is in the air, why not take a tour of the historical ghost sites of San Diego? On the Ghosts and Gravestone Tours, you will be taken on a nighttime tour of legendary haunts, starting at the old Civil War hospital William Heath Davis House and ending at the Whaley House. Admission is $28 for adults and tours depart at 6:30 p.m. For more information on these year-round tours, call (619) 298-8687.

Friday 10/11/02

For those of you who dig tattooed punk guys, ‘Canes Bar and Grill will be your haven tonight when Mest plays with Home Grown, Catch 22 and Madcap. Reggae and ska unite to form the group’s unique sound that will leave you panting for more — whether from the music or the babelicious band member still remains to be seen. The show starts at 5:30 p.m. and tickets are $12.50.

An evening of heart-thumping Latin music awaits at Coors Amphitheatre tonight when Santana plays. The Chicano guitarist has been in the music industry for over 50 years, has released 36 albums and has sold over 50 million albums. The show promises to be amazing, and Santana will be preceded by Ozomatli. Tickets range from $25 to $55 and the show starts at 8 p.m.

Saturday 10/12/02

Jack Johnson returns to one of his largest fan bases when he plays at RIMAC Arena tonight. Although not commercially popular all across the United States, he has managed to build a loyal following with his sold-out shows and brilliant album, “”Brushfire Fairytales.”” Experience his unique brand of lyrics and music; the show starts at 3:30 p.m. and tickets are $25.50.

Humor and music combine with the reverential performance of Eek a Mouse. His soothing reggae and goofy humor are focused toward such problems as poverty and racism. For a truly eye-opening evening, check him out at the Belly Up Tavern. The show starts at 9:15 p.m. and tickets are $15.

Sunday 10/13/02

In the mood for a scary evening in a really romantic setting? The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center’s deluxe Imax dome is where you should be. Prior to the screenings of the film “”Lewis and Clark,”” a Haunted Planetarium pre-show will be shown. Showtimes for the film are 12 p.m., 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. For more information call (619) 238-1233.

Monday 10/14/02

The best that country has to offer will be at Coors Amphitheatre when KSON hosts its second annual Country Fest. This year’s concert will bring in big names like Willie Nelson, Lone Star (of “”Amazed”” fame), Phil Vassar, Shedaisy and many more. If you didn’t like country before, this is the perfect opportunity to start. The show starts at 3 p.m. and tickets range from $22.50 to $65.

Tuesday 10/15/02

If you’re interested in the local music scene, then the perfect opportunity to listen to the best in local music has arisen with the San Diego Music Awards at Humphrey’s By the Bay. Bands such as No Knife, Blackheart Procession and Jason Mraz will play a show hosted by KGB DJ Jim McInnes. The show starts at 7 p.m. and tickets start at $15.

Wednesday 10/16/02

Jerry Cantrell proves that there is life after Alice in Chains. After the death of Layne Staley, it seemed like Alice in Chains was over, but Cantrell has succeeded in going solo. See him at 4th and B at 8 p.m. Tickets are $20.

$2515
    $5000