Women hit by an aftershock

The women’s soccer team recovered from a stunning loss to Cal State Los Angeles on Sept. 27 when the Tritons pulled out a 2-1 overtime victory over Cal State Dominguez Hills two days later. However, UCSD suffered its second setback of the season after losing to the Wildcats of Chico State on Oct. 4.

Guardian file photo

Against CSU Dominguez Hills, the Tritons gave up the first goal of the game in the 26th minute when the Toros’ Norma Gutierrez took a loose ball and put it at the back of the net. In the second half, UCSD responded in the 56th minute. UCSD junior Kristen Conahan took a cross from sophomore Britini Wenck and headed the ball past CSU Dominguez Hills goalkeeper Alba Garcia.

The Tritons then went to their first overtime session of the season. In the extra minutes, Triton junior Amy Goker lobbed a shot over Garcia’s head and gave UCSD its seventh win in eight games this year.

Then, in their third game of four consecutive road matches, the Tritons were shutout by the Wildcats, 2-0, on Oct. 4. In the 26th minute of the game, Chico State’s Amy Swanson put a cross in front of the goal and teammate Janelle Raaff redirected it into the upper-right corner of the net.

The Wildcats took a two-goal lead in the 63rd minute when Swanson converted on a penalty kick awarded to her after being taken down in the Triton penalty box.

UCSD had its chances throughout the game, but the Tritons failed to convert on their opportunities. They took eight corner kicks, while Chico State took only three.

Taking advantage of its chances and opponents’ mistakes has been a key part of UCSD’s success up to this point in its season. The failure to capitalize on opportunities during their loss against Chico State shows that the Tritons are off their usual champion-like stride. The team will have the upcoming weeks to work out the kinks that may hinder their hopes to three-peat as national champions.

Going into Sunday’s game against rival UC Davis, No. 3-ranked UCSD had an overall record of 7-2 and a record of 6-2 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association.

After hitting their current skid, where the Tritons have lost two out of three games, UCSD has a chance to rebound by playing its next four games at Triton Soccer Stadium. The women’s soccer team will face Cal State Stanislaus on Oct. 11 and then play Cal State Bakersfield on Oct. 13.

To end the four-game homestand, UCSD will take on nonconfernce opponent Humboldt State on Oct. 19 and then Cal State San Bernardino on Oct. 26. The Tritons should begin to look ahead and start tuning up for the playoffs, since the conference championships are scheduled to start Nov. 7.

$2515
    $5000