hiatus calendar

Tuesday 9/24/02

Does a cute guy in tight pants and a cowboy hat sound appealing? Then Brad Paisley is your man. The oh-so-handsome country crooner from Glen Dale, W. Va., will be stealing hearts when he plays his crafty mix of contemporary and classic country at Humphrey’s by the Bay. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. and tickets are $40 to $85.

Wanna hear great local music? Then head on over to the Belly Up Tavern for Spotlight San Diego. Every Tuesday night three local bands play on that stage, vying for attention with the hopes of making it big. Another thing you can do on a weeknight if you need to get away and hear some new music. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $3.

Monstrous, steroid-pumped men and women will invade the San Diego Sports Arena tonight when the World Wrestling Entertainment Smack Down disrupts San Diego with the loud, boisterous antics of its recognizable wrestlers. A great event to go to if you need to scream, yell, and act like an adolescent. The event starts at 7:30 p.m. and tickets range from $16 to $41.

Wednesday 9/25/02

Loyal fans of the rock gospel group North Mississippi Allstars will be pouring into the Belly Up Tavern tonight when they play their legendary “”sacred steel”” music with Larry McCray. Combining other genres like rock, jazz and blues, the highly acclaimed group will not disappoint. Even if you’re not a fan, this is the perfect opportunity to experiment. The show starts at 9 p.m. and admission is $15.

For those who tire of super happy bubble gum pop and would rather dwell on their deeper emotions, Black Heart Procession will give you the perfect music with which to do it. Their elegant yet intrinsically sad melodies will evoke memories and feelings of lost loves, as well as induce you to forget yourself in either your past losses or in alcohol. If you want to explore your feelings with this dark world, be at the Casbah at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $10; call (619) 232-4355 for more information.

Thursday 9/26/02

Out and proud? Well, now you can show your support of the international gay and lesbian community by visiting the 5th Annual Outfest San Diego – San Diego Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. This four-day festival starts today and ends on Sept. 29. More than a dozen international shorts and features will be shown at their San Diego premieres Ken Cinema. Tonight’s feature is “”KM. O,”” which starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $8, $25 for opening night, and passes can be purchased for $100. For information call (619) 269-5636 or visit www.outfest.org

Friday 9/27/02

Atypical and loving it. The Museum of Photographic Art is having its second Revenge of the Long Cult Summer Film Series. Tonight and tomorrow night, screenings of the classic show “”The Honeymooners”” will be shown at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., so come see this hilarious show and see Balboa Park while you’re at it. Admission is $4 to $5. For information call (619) 238-7559.

Get ready for an evening of magic, theater and dance. FallonMAGIC, the husband-wife duo of Mistia and Matthew Fallon, will leave you astounded. Evoking the aura and images of classic films from the ’30s and ’40s, the Fallons mix mystery and magic in a way that will certainly entertain. The show starts at 8 p.m. at 4th and B. Tickets are $10.

Saturday 9/28/02

Don’t miss the ever-popular Adams Avenue Street Fair in Normal Heights! The totally free festival celebrates music, food and art. Come and enjoy over 80 acts varying from rock and blues to Cajun, country and bluegrass. Spanning six city blocks from Bancroft to 35th Ave., there are 400 booths of exotic foods and arts and crafts, and we mustn’t forget the three beer gardens. And for the young of heart, the carnival rides are a popular draw. The fair runs from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. For more information call (619) 282-7329.

Tired of the same old predictable crap those big production companies have the nerve to call movies? Then Do It Yourself Punk Film Night at the Che Cafe is exactly where you should be. Several independent films, featuring the documentary “”DIY or Die: How to Survive as an Independent Artist”” and “”Make it Ours — Women of Color in the Punk Scene,”” as well as other video shorts of various genres. The event starts at 9 p.m. and is free, but a donation of $3 or $5 is recommended. For more information on this or other events at the Che Cafe, visit www.checafe.com.

Tropical rock lives! Now come show your love at the Jimmy Buffet concert at Coors Amphitheater. Sure, the guy is getting on in his years, and he hasn’t had a hit record in a while, but he’s still legendary — who could ever forget his hits “”Margaritaville”” and “”Why don’t we get drunk and screw?”” The show will start at 8 p.m. and tickets range from $30-$75.

Sunday 9/29/02

Yay for Germans! Why? Because they gave us Oktoberfest. And lucky for us, we don’t have to be in Germany to celebrate it. We need only go as far as Encinitas. Everything from the Bluebirds Oom-Pah-Pah Band, polkas and bratwurst will delight the many people who attend this five-block festival. Of course, there will be plenty of foods, games, rides so it will be a fun place to go whether you have kids or whether you just like to act like one. But don’t worry. There is also a playground for the grown-ups in the form of a huge 140 foot beer garden. Sounds like heaven. And what’s better? It’s free! It starts at 10 a.m. and ends at 5 p.m. Be there or be square. For more info and directions call (760) 632-1199.

No more bad thoughts — only happy, sugary-sweet thoughts from now on. And who better to help you with that resolution than the Apples in Stereo who will be playing at the Casbah. Indie music that is meant for those who love the Beach Boys and love itself. Perhaps you will fall in love with the music itself, or maybe you won’t, because the music is so sweet you’ll want to hurl, but you still won’t be able to bring yourself to leave. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. and tickets are $10.

$2515
    $5000