DVD Review: 'Blue Velvet' DVD a silky winner from director David Lynch

Director David Lynch is definitely getting a lot of deserved attention these days. Coming off the heels of his critically-acclaimed “”Muholland Drive,”” MGM has released a special edition DVD of another Lynch masterpiece: “”Blue Velvet.””

For any college student, “”Blue Velvet”” probably isn’t a must-see title like “”Memento”” or “”The Usual Suspects,”” which were also recently released as special editions on DVD. However, skipping Lynch’s film is like skipping the review session before a final — you don’t want to do it. Haunting and mesmerizing, “”Blue Velvet”” is sure to leave you speechless and in awe.

When college student Jeffrey Beaumont (Kyle MacLachlan) discovers a human ear in his small, Americana-like town, it draws him into an intriguing mystery. Things aren’t what they seem when Beaumont is led into a murder involving a nightclub singer (Isabella Rossellini) and drug-addicted sadist Frank Booth (Dennis Hopper).

Viewers are often divided on Lynch’s films; either they are too abstract to comprehend or they bring just the optimal amount of mystery and crazed storyline. Although “”Blue Velvet”” is likely to do the same, it will no doubt draw in and keep the viewer absorbed in its story.

The special edition DVD complements the film well with an abundance of extra features and supplements. The cornerstone is the “”Mysteries of Love”” documentary, which the secretive director actually supervised.

Lynch tends to stay mute on his films, leaving the audience to understand the film on its own. Although this is generally the case, the extras in “”Blue Velvet”” are more informative than any other Lynch film that has been released on DVD to date.

Also included are interviews with the cast and from Lynch himself. A short clip of Siskel and Ebert is short, but shows two master film critics firing off at each other.

In all, the special edition DVD of “”Blue Velvet”” won’t grab the attention of UCSD students like “”Spider-Man”” or “”Attack of the Clones,”” but who says cinema has to be unintellectual?