Tritons win in bottom of 9th

UCSD beat the University of Redlands Bulldogs on Tuesday when Triton catcher Matt Kennison singled home shortstop Keith Hernandez in the bottom of the ninth.

Sam Scoufus

The Tritons wasted no time jumping on the Bulldogs, scoring two runs in the bottom of the first inning — the first time UCSD has scored more than one run in the first inning in 12 games.

UCSD’s offense strung together three hits in the inning to earn a 2-0 advantage. Triton left fielder John Bologna led off the inning with a single to left, followed by a single by right fielder Tyler Sullivan. UCSD first baseman Chad Addison then singled to center and drove in Bologna and Sullivan on the play.

Redlands halved the lead in the top of the third inning when Bulldog center fielder Jake Bernhard and shortstop James Cordes both singled to left field. Left fielder Chris Grant grounded out to second base but scored Bernhard on the sacrifice.

Both teams scored twice in the fourth inning.

For Redlands, third baseman Mike Karg scored off a double to right-center field by right fielder Sam Kristensen. Kristensen proceeded to score the second run of the inning for the Bulldogs off a single by Bernhard to put the University of Redlands ahead by one.

Triton designated hitter Garret Riddle singled to center field in the bottom of the inning, stole second and then scored when second baseman Anthony Lococo smacked a two-run home run to left field — his third on the year. UCSD center fielder David Hawk also doubled in the inning.

UCSD’s run in the fifth came courtesy of heads-up baseball by Sullivan. After doubling down the left field line, he tagged up and advanced to third, and then proceeded to score on a wild pitch by Bulldog hurler Steve Gormley.

Redlands put up three runs in the sixth. Designated hitter Ryan Beglin and pinch runner Aaron Holley scored unearned runs in the inning: Beglin originally reaching on an error and Holley scoring on a wild pitch. Bernhard also scored.

“”Today’s [game] was played very poorly on our part,”” Addison said. “”We may have won the game, but we didn’t play as well as we are capable of.””

In the eighth inning, Triton catcher Jeff Riddle doubled to right field.

Brandon Walker pinch-ran and scored when Lococo came through in the clutch with a two-out single, driving in Walker to tie the game. Kennison’s bases-loaded single ended the game in the ninth.

Senior Robert Peelle picked up the win — his first of the season — by throwing two innings of scoreless relief for UCSD. Raf Bergstrom, Tommy Sereno and Alex Cremidan also pitched. University of Redlands closing pitcher Craig Cartmill took the loss, falling to 4-7.

Lococo went 2-fo-2 with three RBIs, a walk and a run scored for UCSD. Sullivan added three hits, a double, two runs scored and two stolen bases.

On top for the Bulldogs were Bernhard with three hits, one RBI and two runs scored, and Cordes and Karg who had two hits each.

With the win, UCSD improves to 27-21-1 overall while Redlands drops to 13-25.

The Tritons travel to Davis, Calif., for a critical four-game California Collegiate Athletic Association series with UC Davis this weekend. The series will determine whether UCSD will finish in the top four in the conference and qualify for the playoffs held in Chico, Calif., starting May 9.

“”The chances of making the playoffs are looking good as long as we play our game,”” Addison said. “”As a senior, I couldn’t have asked for a better opportunity in my final season. All of us seniors are very excited to be able to put it all on the line and see what happens. This team definitely has the talent to do well this last weekend and to make an impact in the playoff picture.””

Riddle agreed, and noted the intensity of this weekend’s match-up.

“”We’re stoked to play Davis,”” Riddle said. “”We’ve got something to play for in the last series and that’s what it’s all about, [but] we’ll take it one game at a time.””

Addison agreed.

“”We have been working our butts off for over six months, and it is awesome that it all comes down to the final weekend of the year,”” Addison said.

$2515
    $5000