Student cleared of syringe assault charges

UCSD student Peter Butcher has been ruled out as a suspect in recent syringe attack in Isla Vista, Calif., the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Department announced Thursday afternoon.

Witnesses confirmed that Butcher was in San Diego, not Santa Barbara, at the time of the April 5 syringe attack of a jogger in Isla Vista.

On April 12 the Santa Barbara Sheriffs Department interviewed and gave polygraph tests to Butcher’s alibi witnesses. Officials concluded that his alibi was true.

“”We don’t believe Peter could have possibly been in the area and committed the crime,”” said Lt. Billy Byrne of the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Department.

Correction

The Guardian ran an article April 18 titled “”Accused student can’t return”” from UC Santa Barbara’s student newspaper The Daily Nexus, which incorrectly stated that UCSD student Peter Butcher could not leave Santa Barbara County until his May 8 arraignment for crimes he was later cleared of. The court in fact ruled Butcher could return to UCSD but was required to return to Santa Barbara on May 8 for the proceeding. At no time were charges ever filed against Butcher. The Guardian regrets the error.

$2515
    $5000