Trip North a success for Dao and company

The UCSD women’s tennis team continued its dominance on the West Coast with a successful road trip to San Francisco last weekend.

The Tritons opened their trip with a 4-3 victory over Division I University of San Francisco on Saturday afternoon.

Playing under the Division I scoring system, in which the three doubles matches count as only one point, the Tritons took the lead with doubles victories from the No. 1 team of Lyndsey Tadlock and Julie Westerman (8-6) and No. 3 team Jasmin Dao and Kristina Jansen (8-3).

Dao and Jansen improved to 9-0 on the season, the only undefeated Triton doubles pairing.

In singles action, Jansen, Westerman and Tadlock each remained undefeated on the season, picking up straight-set victories.

Dao, playing in the tough No. 1 singles spot, dropped her sixth match of the season but played even with USF’s Gabriela Ruiz.

The next day, the Tritons headed across town to face California Collegiate Athletic Association foe San Francisco State. The Tritons dominated the much weaker Gators, picking up an easy 9-0 victory.

Jansen set the pace for UCSD, teaming up with Dao at No. 3 doubles for an 8-0 victory. Jansen then swept USF’s Tiffany Leslie 6-0, 6-0 at No. 5 singles.

Those victories were the third time this season Jansen did not drop a game in both of her singles and double matches.

Mary Hung kept up with Jansen with a 6-0, 6-0 sweep at No. 4 singles. O-Neil (7-5, 6-1), Tadlock (6-1, 6-1) and Westerman (6-2, 6-0) each picked up relatively easy victories.

More importantly, however, Dao picked up her third singles victory of the season, defeating Amanda Wilson, the only player for SFSU with a winning record, 6-1, 6-1 at No. 1 singles. Dao, the lone freshman who sees regular time, now has a record of 3-6 at No. 1 singles.

UCSD moved up to the eighth spot in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings, but recent losses by No. 6 Abilene Christian University and No. 7 Rollins College have given the Tritons the opportunity to move up when new rankings come out in two weeks.

The Tritons move to 10-0 on the season and lead the CCAA. Six of their wins have been over CCAA opponents.

UCSD returns to action against Beloit College March 9 at UCSD’s North Courts at 10 a.m. The Division III Buccaneers feature All-Americans Julia Lebedeva and Tanya Kopylova.

$2515
    $5000