Fencing finishes in first place

The UCSD men’s and women’s fencing teams wrapped up their regular season Saturday against Cal Tech and California State University Fullerton. The Tritons recorded victories against both teams, almost pulling off the sweep except for a loss to Fullerton in the men’s foil division.

With the wins, both the men’s and women’s teams finished the season atop the seven-team Southern California Fencing Conference with perfect 12-0 records. The UCSD men’s team took first in the sabre division and second in both the foil and epee to earn its third-straight conference title. The women’s team grabbed first in all three divisions, its only loss of the season coming in the sabre division to Cal Tech.

“”I know there’s never been a [UCSD] women’s team to take all three weapons,”” said head coach Stuart Lee. “”We made history with the women.””

Individually the women were led in conference by Josaphine Roberts, who went 34-2 on the year to grab the top individual epee title. Teammate Christine Megowan finished second in the division with a perfect 30-0 record.

In women’s sabre Katie Stapko compiled a 33-3 record to finish second in conference, and Triton Jessica Spuehler finished fourth with a record of 27-9.

UCSD grabbed second and fourth spots in the foil division as well, with the 31-5 record of Jessica Fripp and Rebecca Dowd’s 27-9 record.

For the men, team captain Andrew Anfora went an amazing 35-1 to take first place in the sabre division.

“”He’s led the team all year,”” Lee said about Anfora.

Justin Hunt also earned a first-place spot for UCSD, finishing atop the epee division with a 34-2 record. Fellow Triton Michael Davis-Allen finished fourth in conference at 28-8. In the foil the Tritons’ Chris Gummeson went 31-5 to end third in the SCFC.

With the end of the regular season the Tritons are now preparing for the NCAA Western Regional Championships on March 2 at Stanford University.

“”It’s an individual event,”” Lee said about the championships. “”I expect to qualify one to three people [for nationals].””

Women’s epee competitor Raelyn Jacobson is expected to advance and represent UCSD in the finals. Jacobson recently placed 15th in the nation at the Junior Olympics in Columbus, Ohio. Looking to join her is teammate Kelley Bega, a foil specialist who formerly was ranked in the nation’s top 20 in women’s foil.

“”They are very likely [to advance],”” Lee said.

With two athletes being the most Lee has ever sent to nationals, he will be looking to beat that mark next weekend and continue UCSD’s record-setting season.

$2515
    $5000