UCSD CLUB SPORTS

Men’s ultimate

The men’s ultimate disc team trekked out to Tempe, Ariz., last weekend to participate in a two-day tournament that included teams from Las Vegas, Arizona State University, University of Washington and Notre Dame.

The UCSD Squids started the tournament strongly, with the mixed team easily pinning a loss to an experienced Las Vegas squad.

In UCSD’s second game, the young team picked up its second-straight victory of the tournament, beating Arizona State University.

However, UCSD next took on the Notre Dame Alumni Team, which readily beat the inexperienced Squids.

UCSD then faced University of Washington, which they had recently beat in the Santa Barbara tournament. This time, however, it was a different story because the decimated Squid squad was unable to keep up.

Squid Ryan Slaughter established himself over the tournament with his all-out defensive efforts, while Jake Chang and Adam Desjardins excelled on offense for UCSD.

Cycling

UCSD cycling had its season opening last Saturday and Sunday in hilly east San Diego County. With many of the top riders coming from across the country, UCSD’s Matt Sadauckas welcomed them by grabbing the victory in the men’s A race, while Geoffrey Rapport and Joe Merlone took the first and third spots in the B race.

For the women, Laura Resor and Esther Merki finished second and third in the women’s A race, while Ramlah Nehring earned third in the B race.

After UCSD nabbed first place on Saturday, the team continued its momentum into Sunday’s races and proved it was just as dominant on the flats.

Sadauckas again placed for UCSD, taking second place in the A race. Merlone and Jason Goldberg grabbed the first two spots in the men’s B Race. Chris Del Negro also earned a first place victory, winning the men’s C division.

UCSD’s Sharon Smith and Megan Wemmer were the top finishers for the women, earning second place in the A race and first in the B race, respectively.

Ski & Snowboard

The Alpine Ski and Snowboard team continued its quest for a first-place ranking in the Southern California League last weekend. Skiers Danielle Crockett and Sierra Bourne nabbed first and third, while in snowboarding UCSD’s Amy Sage took on all competitors and won the Giant Slalom 4 seconds faster than the second-place finisher.

On Sunday, Crockett earned another first-place victory, then combined with Bourne and Anne Spohr to sweep the skiercross, winning first, second and third, respectively. Sage again dominated, winning the the Boardercross to go undefeated for the weekend.

Sailing

The UCSD sailing team finished sixth in the South Series Regatta last weekend, taking the team to a fourth-place overall regional standing. R.J. Ward and Kim Leung finished fifth in the A division, while Rob Grant and Erica McClure grabbed eighth place in the B division.

Hockey

The UCSD hockey team picked up a surprising loss at the hand of the California State University, Northridge Matadors on Feb. 2. Despite outshooting their opponents 35-22, shoddy defense allowed CSUN to beat UCSD 5-3.

In an extremely physical game, UCSD picked up six unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, and was clearly rattled by the aggressive Matadors. UCSD top scorer Keith Davis was contained in the penalty box for the last 10 minutes of the game.

Upcoming

Friday, Feb. 8

Hockey plays San Jose State at 12:30 a.m. at UTC.

Saturday, Feb. 9

Dance travels to the USA Nationals in Las Vegas.

Hockey plays Georgia Tech at 4:15 p.m. at UTC.

Women’s lacrosse plays a doubleheader against UCSB at noon.

Men’s rugby plays CSU Long Beach at 1 p.m.

— Compiled by Isaac Pearlman

Sports Editor