hiatus calendar

1/10/02 Thursday

Everything Bryan Adams does, he does it for you. And if this particular Canadian does it for you, catch him at 4th & B. Adams brings 10 albums and a bunch of hit singles ranging from soundtrack songs such as “”(Everything I Do) I Do it For You”” to solid hits such as “”Summer of ’69.”” The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are $30.

Ides of Space kick off their first U.S. tour with a free show at Scolari’s Office at 8 p.m. This Australian band has received much praise from the music world with their distorted guitar sounds and vocals that some compare to My Bloody Valentine. Ides of Space do not forget the catchy hooks and strong melodies. The band will also be at The Casbah on Friday with Weezer’s Pat Wilson and his band Special Goodness and the Mira Mesa Epicentre on Saturday with Jack’s Broken Heart, Her Space Holiday and The Gloria Record. Call (619) 296-3546 for more information.

1/12/02 Saturday

UCSD’s very own nightclub, Club Ritmo, opens Saturday night in the Price Center Ballroom with DJ Skribble. The event starts at 8:30 p.m. and runs to midnight. The show is open to UCSD and the general public. For UCSD students, tickets are $10 presale and $12 at the door. For the public, tickets are $14 presale and $16 at the door. Call the UCSD Box Office at (858) 534-TIXS to purchase tickets. Look to the article in Hiatus on page 8 for more on the event.

The world-famous Tokyo String Quartet will be at the Mandeville Center Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 for UCSD students and $25 for the general public. Call the UCSD Box Office at (858) 534-TIXS for ticket information. Tickets are also available through Ticketmaster.

1/13/02 Sunday

Squeeze in an extra bit of dance before the week starts. The Casbah presents “”Congregation,”” which features drum ‘n’ bass DJs, Tom B and Confuscia. Call The Casbah at (619) 232-4355 for more information.

1/14/02 Monday

Dan and Eddie of local band, Supersuckers, will be at The Casbah to stage an acoustic performance with other local musicians. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. Call The Casbah for more information at (619) 232-4355.

1/15/02 Tuesday

One of the greatest Frank Sinatra tribute groups will perform at UCSD’s Mandeville Auditorium. The event starts at 7:30 p.m. and tickets for students are $15. General admission is $22. Look at page eight in Hiatus to read more about the event.

1/16/02 Wednesday

The Cherry Valence gives you ear-crushing guitar sounds remeniscent of hard-rocking groups like KISS or Led Zeppelin and their dual drummers will pound out a thundering beat. All this is enough for an awesome show. The Cherry Valence will be at The Casbah at 8:30 p.m. For more information contact The Casbah at (619) 232-4355.

1/17/02 Thursday

They are old school but they can still rock. Aerosmith will perform at the San Diego Sports Arena, and they are sure to play the classics, such as “”Walk this Way”” and “”Crazy”” as well as their new hits “”Jaded”” and “”Play.”” Tickets start at $27 and the show starts at 7:30 p.m.

Local rock groups Skydiver, Jack’s Broken Heart, Iyla and Vertibird will be at The Casbah. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. For more info call The Casbah at (619) 232-4355.

$2515
$5000