Tennis serves up some success in tournament

Several members of the UCSD men’s tennis team were in action last weekend at the 2001 Intercollegiate Tennis Association West Region Tennis Championships, which were held at UC Davis last Thursday and Friday.

The Tritons’ Michael Meyer, who was the fourth seed of the event, had an impressive run in the men’s singles championship. He cruised through the first three rounds of the event before finally falling 6-3, 6-2 to Jan Krejci, the tournament’s top seed out of BYU-Hawaii, in the semifinals. Krejci went on to take the singles title.

Meyer, a sophomore, was also a part of the No. 3-ranked doubles team in the tournament that went to the semifinals. Meyer was paired with freshman Sameer Chopra. The duo defeated teams from California State University Los Angeles and UC Davis before falling in the semifinals.

Meyer and Chopra were ousted from the tournament by UC Davis’ Yaro Vinogradsky and Greg Lee, who were the No. 2 seeds in the tournament. The team from UCSD fell by a score of 8-4.

Individually, UCSD’s Bryan Swatt made the quarterfinals, while Blake Wilson-Hayden, Emil Novak, Jeff Wilson, Chopra and Sean Higginbotham were all eliminated in the third round of the tournament. Everett Schroeter only got to the second round before he was defeated.

In the doubles bracket, Swatt and Wilson, along with the team of Novak and Schroeter, were eliminated in the quarterfinals.

$2515
    $5000