UCSD Club Sports

Women’s Ultimate

David Pilz

Women’s ultimate teams from UC Santa Barbara, the University of Colorado, Claremont and two from UCSD rumbled in La Jolla last weekend in the Southwest Regional Championships.

The UCSD A team came out on top.

During pool play on Saturday, the A squad first knocked off the UCSD B team 15-0 and then defeated Claremont 15-5. Santa Barbara fell 15-3, and Colorado lost to UCSD 15-8.

In the semifinals on Sunday, UCSD again knocked off Claremont, this time 15-4.

The finals featured another battle against Colorado.

Starting the game, UCSD stars Jen Sanderson and Tonya Lennaburg helped give their team a 12-5 lead.

Colorado was down but not out. The school proceeded to go on a 7-2 run to close the gap to 14-12.

UCSD’s Mary Ann Polytika saved the day with a late goal, giving her team a 15-12 victory and a trip to nationals.

The B team concluded its season fifth in the Southwest region.

The UCSD A team will head to nationals in Boston over Memorial Day weekend.

Men’s Ultimate

The men’s ultimate team was not as successful as its female counterpart, but it too had a good showing, finishing third last weekend at the Southwest Regionals.

With excellent play from Kevin Spindt, Jeff Bartels and Jamie Arambula, the team barely made it into the semifinals on Sunday.

In the semifinals, UCSD played tough but unfortunately fell to Colorado, 15-12.

Colorado went on to the finals, where it lost to Santa Barbara.

The semifinal loss winds up the UCSD men’s ultimate season.

Dancesport

April was a month filled with excitement for the UCSD Dancesport team.

First the squad headed to the annual Desert Challenge Dancesport competition.

UCSD’s Jonathan Marion and Renee Link made it as far as the semifinals for the cha-cha in the Bronze International Latin category, placing fifth. They also placed fifth in the samba.

Greg Emmanuel and Karin Bassa also made it to the semifinals, their glory coming during the rumba.

Marion was not done. He paired with Janelle Bouey in the Silver American Rhythm category. The duo took third in the cha-cha, fourth in the rumba and bolero and sixth in the mambo.

John Stillwagen and Pam Thomas hooked up in the Gold International Category for a second in the samba, a second in the rumba and a third in the cha-cha.

In the multi-dance events, Marion and Bouey were at it again, taking second in the novice American Rhythm and the Prechampionship American Rhythm.

Stillwagen and Rhomas stole the show, grabbing first in the Novice International Category.

The following weekend, UCSD traveled to the Stanford Tournament.

In the team competition, the alumni squad took first and the UCSD competition finished second. The show team settled for third.

Stillwagen and Thomas still had something left, taking fifth in the advanced cha-cha/rumba/samba multi-dance competition. Tracy Hajowski and Nathan Wee made it to the finals in the intermediate cha-cha.

Marion and Link took third in the salsa dance, and Bouey and Marion finished first in the intermediate American cha-cha/rumba multi-dance event.

Sailing Team

The UCSD sailing team concluded its season at the Pacific Coast Championship Regatta at UC Berkeley.

The event took place at the Treasure Island Sailing Center on San Francisco Bay. Eight teams competed in the event.

Rob Gant, Galen Richards and Sarah Rozycki manned the UCSD A boat, while Ren Dahlin, Kimberly Leun and Mat Cheung handled the B boat.

UCSD did not have a performance to write home about, finishing eighth out of eight teams.

–Compiled by Robert Fulton

Sports Editor