UCSD Club Sports

Cycling Team

The UCSD cycling team wrapped up its season last week at the Western Collegiate Cycling Conference Championships. Held at Palmdale, Calif. and Lancaster, Calif. and hosted by Cal Poly Pomona, the event featured many of the best cyclists from all over California.

UCSD’s Pete Knudsen went out with a bang.

Knudsen tore up his competition, finishing first overall in the conference. On the first day of the event, he grabbed first in the 88-mile road race, embarrassing many of the best riders out West.

The second day of the event, Knudsen was not finished. He dominated the competition in the 60-lap criterium.

Knudsen now owns the overall season title and will be taking part in nationals later this month.

Knudsen has now been upgraded to Category 1, the highest amateur category in cycling.

Though it was the Knudsen show at the WCCC Championships, UCSD did have a number of other bright spots.

In the road race category, Matt Sanders took 15th in the Men’s A division, and Mark Chaisson placed 15th in Men’s B.

On the women’s side, Ester Merki took 10th and Megan Anderson finished 13th in the road race for the women’s A team.

Laura Resor finished sixth and Sabrina Morris placed 14th in the women’s B category.

In the criterium competition, Joe Merlone took 10th in the B category and Tona Rodrigues finished 10th in the C category.

For the women, Sharon Smith finished second, qualifying her for nationals. Also, Sabrina Morris took 12th in the B category.

The season has concluded for most of the UCSD cyclists, except for Knudsen and Smith of course, who will represent UCSD at nationals.

The Collegiate Cycling Nationals will be held May 19 through May 21 in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Badminton Team

The UCSD badminton team had a number of impressive victories at the NCAA Badminton National Tournament in Philadelphia this weekend.

The wins were even more impressive considering this is the team’s first year in existence and it competed against the top teams in the nation.

The event featured some of the toughest competition from around the country.

DeDe Davis and Dora Walsh teamed up to take second in the women’s doubles category.

Walsh was not through, as she also picked up second place in the women’s singles category.

The efforts of Walsh, Davis and others landed UCSD the overall team title.

Not to be outdone, the men also had something to cheer about. Julian Wu and Berny Yu united to finish second in the overall men’s category.

Upcoming Events

May 5-6

*The men’s and women’s Ultimate regionals at UCSD — all fields, all day

*Dancesport Emerald Ball in downtown San Diego

*Equestrian nationals in Atlanta, Ga.

*Sailing at UC Berkeley

*Waterski at UC Santa Barbara

— Compiled by Robert

Fulton, Sports Editor