Track Shows Off at Cal/Nev

The UCSD track and field team headed south to the California/Nevada Track and Field Championships at UC Irvine last Sunday and it came back with something to boast about.

It was all about UCSD’s star long distance runner James Nielsen

Triton senior Nielsen grabbed his second championship at the event in the 5,000 meters. His time of 14:24 is also a new school record and an NCAA Division II national qualifying time.

Track and field, made up of individuals, is a team, and UCSD had some other star athletes to brag about, in addition to Nielsen.

Jon Wong, a junior, took fifth place in the 1,500 meters and set a school record with a time of 3:50.03. This too was an NCAA qualifying time.

Rob Ewanio, also a junior, placed seventh in the shot put with an NCAA qualifying throw and a school record of 57 3-4.

Not to be outdone, Triton sophomore Audrey Sung took fifth place in the 3,000 meters, an NCAA qualifying performance at 10:09.54.

For the women, junior Lynne Brinkman launched the javelin 131-2 for a school record and an NCAA qualifying distance.

The track and field team will next be heading back down south as they look forward to the Steve Scott Invitational at Irvine on Sunday at 9 a.m.

$2515
    $5000