PLNU Smacks UCSD

The UCSD men’s tennis team clashed with Point Loma Nazarene University last Friday and came out on the short end of a 5-4 score against the Crusaders.

The Triton singles players struggled against their opponents, dropping four of the six singles matches. UCSD’s top singles player, Sameer Chopra, lost to Rodrigo Suarez in straight sets 2-6, 6-7. The Tritons’ No. 2 player, Jeff Wilson, was also defeated in straight sets by Point Loma’s Niklas Rohdin 6-7, 2-6. However, Dan Albrecht ended the Crusaders’ streak by spanking No. 3 Chad Abby 7-5, 6-3.

The other three singles matches were all particularly close, as they all took three sets to determine the winner. Unfortunately, Point Loma was the winner in two of those three matches. Jason Kasner beat UCSD’s Amir Nejad 6-7, 7-5, 6-2. Point Loma’s Joe Combs was also victorious over Sean Higginbotham 6-2, 2-6, 6-1. Everett Schroeter was the only other UCSD men’s singles winner, as he beat Ben Roberson 4-6, 6-1, 6-3.

The Tritons fared a little better on the doubles side of the court, taking two of the three matches. UCSD’s Wilson and Cory Moderhak lost to Suarez and Abby, 8-6, but Tritons Michael Meyer and Chopra were victorious over Rohdin and Kasner 8-2, and Schroeter and Albrecht beat up on Point Loma’s Matt Clinton and Roberson 8-4.

The loss drops the men’s tennis team’s record to 4-5 in league and 8-9 on the season.

The Tritons will be looking to even their record next Tuesday as they take on Cal Poly Pomona on the road in their regular season finale.

$2515
    $5000