Track Comes Close

The UCSD men’s and women’s track and field team competed in a tri-meet against UC Irvine and cross-town rival San Diego State University at SDSU’s campus last weekend.

With the men and women both falling short on the scoreboard, the Tritons have seen better days.

The Aztec women finished with 131 points for first place, followed by the Anteaters, who finished second with 103 points. UCSD finished third with 97 points.

On the men’s side of the action, Irvine came in first with 105 points. The Tritons finished with 91 points. SDSU did not enter a men’s team.

The only highlight for the Triton women was Juliana Mittino. She recorded a NCAA Division II-qualifying performance in the pole vault with a leap of 10 feet, 11-3/4 inches.

The men faced a competitor with a good performance record all season.

Rob Ewanio was unstoppable as usual for UCSD, finishing first in three throwing events. He took with the shotput a toss of 48 feet, 9-1/2 inches, the discus throw with a toss of 133 feet, 11 inches, and the hammer throw with a launch of 157 feet, 1 inch.

Triton star James Nielson ran the 5000-meter run two weeks ago in 14:28.18, an NCAA-qualifying time.

Next up for UCSD is another trip across town, when it heads to the San Diego State Invitational on March 24.