5/13 A.S. Council

5/13 A.S. Council

The meeting began with Public Input, during which a member of Triton Racing, UCSD’s Formula SAE team, criticized A.S. Council for not funding the team’s trip to Lincoln, Nebraska.

The meeting transitioned into a special presentation by Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Juan Gonzalez. Council members had the opportunity to ask him various questions. When ACCB President Ryan Perez asked about the Che Cafe’s status, Gonzalez noted that the Sheriff’s Department has a court order for eviction. Marshall Senator Michael Zhong asked Gonzalez about how UCSD handles sexual assault cases, to which he responded, “Every case has to be reviewed on its own merits.”

Gonzalez also expressed concern about Sun God 2015 and noted the number of hospitalizations and sexual assault cases. According to Gonzalez, about 100 students caused concern to university administration. He pointed out that mandating behavior won’t work.

When asked about the potential move to Division I athletics, Gonzales responded that he was in favor of it and praised current student athletes’ academic achievements. He also discussed student retention, study spaces and budgeting processes.

The next presentation was given by additional members of Triton Racing. They put forth an argument for allocating $5,000 of A.S. funding to send Triton Racing members to the competition in Nebraska. A.S. Council members proposed fundraising methods for the team and inquired about funding options the team had already pursued.

Senator Suvonnasupa pointed out that there is no one on Council that doesn’t want to fund student organizations but there are certain things Council can and cannot do.

Discussion continued for quite some time, with the sound of bass coming from The Loft, a place I’m sure we’d all much rather be right now. I personally have yet to see a presentation continue for this long.

During question time, council members recognized AVP Ryan Huyler’s achievements and his work with the Office of Student Advocacy.

Several A.S. Council positions are still open, if anyone would like to apply.