Tritons Jockey For Playoff Position at Season’s End

Tritons Jockey For Playoff Position at Seasons End

alWin Szeto WVB

The UCSD women’s volleyball team lost to first place Cal State San Bernardino Wednesday

The top two teams in the California Collegiate Athletic Association clashed on Wednesday at RIMAC Arena, when the second-ranked Tritons met with first place Cal State San Bernardino, losing in five sets. The Tritons took the first two sets (25–13, 25–17) but let the lead slip through their hands, dropping the last three sets. UCSD failed to contain San Bernardino’s Alexandra Torline, who notched a match high 18 kills. Two other Coyotes — Tori May and Ashley Solis — recorded double-digit kills, 15 and 12 kills respectively. Despite, UCSD senior libero Brittany Lombardi earned 26 digs, to break the all-time single season school record for digs with 559 digs. “Lombardi’s defensive skills are fantastic,” UCSD head coach Ricci Luyties said on the weekly online talk show, “Triton Talk.” “On the other side Lombardi brings some other things to the court, she’s a fantastic passer.” The Tritons still worked good games out of junior transfer Caitlin Brenton (17 kills and four assists) and last season’s All-CCAA Freshman of the Year Danielle Dahle, who notched 16 kills. The Tritons will wrap up regular season play this weekend. On Friday, the Tritons will take on Cal State Los Angeles on the road. For its last home game, UCSD will return home the following day to match up against Cal State Dominguez Hills, where the Tritons will honor four seniors — outside hitter Lizzy Andrews, libero Brittany Lombardi, opposite Rachelle Kinney and middle blocker Sara McCutchan. Ranked first in the NCAA West Regional rankings, the Tritons can look forward to the NCAA Tournament next week. The NCAA Division II selection show — announcing UCSD’s first round matchup, and more importantly, where the games will be held — is scheduled for Monday, Nov. 25, at 4:30 p.m. PST. “I think throughout the season, the team has been tested really well, which bodes well for these big games in the playoffs,” Luyties said.