Life Beyond College

Life Beyond College

Max Basch

The creator of “Off Campus,” a new podcast and talk show on Brooklyn Community Radio about tackling the world outside of academia, talks about his inspirations and his desire to give students insight into post-graduation possibilities

Not all students know what they want to do after receiving their college diploma. “Off Campus,” an independent radio show and podcast launched in 2013, broadcasts interviews with college graduates to help students navigate the ambiguous waters of life beyond school.

The show features individuals who have followed unique — and often unexpected — trajectories with regard to their careers, such as Juilliard graduate Rachel Winard, a professional violinist turned soap company owner. Recently, the show has even turned the spotlight on a former Triton: UCSD alumnus Willy Staley, whose article on McDonald’s McRib sandwich landed him his job as a writer for the New York Times.

“Off Campus” was founded and is hosted by Ari King, who was inspired by his own confusion and reservations about entering the career field after graduating from Wesleyan University in 2009. He also wrote a book, “Now What?! Conversations About College, Graduation, and the Next Step,” to tell post-graduation stories to advise the confused student. His book was published in 2013, and he now aims to further this initiative through “Off Campus.”

“I spent three years interviewing people that came from different schools, backgrounds and majors,” King said. “The show is basically a continuation of the book. It has gone from an idea to a book and a book to a radio show and podcast.”

Kings feels that it’s both humbling and comforting to hear about the trials and triumphs of former college students who never had their destined career paths all figured out. He believes that “Off Campus” allows its interviewees’ personal voices to be heard and its listeners to get what they will out of the related stories.

“Everyone has their own stories to tell and their own pieces of advice to give,” King said. “People are going to respond to these interviews differently. They’re going to resonate with certain interviews more than others. There isn’t one piece of advice that can be given to the masses.”

King hopes the site will become an important resource for those who aren’t sure where they’ll go after they’ve completed their education.

“I see the site growing and having more and more people being interviewed and [becoming] a part of ‘Off Campus’ and, perhaps, going to different campuses and talking to different students and alumni [to find out] what they want to do and what they’re up,” King said. “[I would like to] have it grow and have more and more people tune in and contribute and really turn it into a great podcast and radio show.”

Students can tune in to Brooklyn Community Radio, or BBOX Radio, every Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Pacific Standard Time, or visit the “Off Campus” site, www.thisisoffcampus.org, for podcasted shows to listen to the real stories of the struggles and accomplishments of those who have made the transition out of college.