Syria Rights Crisis Mirrors Abortion Issues At Home

Dear Editor,

I have been reading and listening to arguments about how the gassing of the Syrian people should be equated to American abortion. This argument seems to lead into whether we should attack Syria, leave Syria alone after killing approximately 1,400 of their own people and whether or not this should be the ideal time to look at our own country’s abortion laws.

First, it has been established that Syria has broken international law by gassing their own people in this civil war that has been going on for two years. All of the world’s countries know about this, but only very few will agree to take a stand against this. Our president and Congress seem ready to stand with these few countries in order to “punish” the Syrian government. At this point, our government leaders are like salmon swimming up stream on this. The overwhelming majority of Americans do not want anything to do with Syria. Who said government officials have it easy? Not this decision.

As for equating abortion to this, I can say many, many people are against abortion! I am a Democrat, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be pro-life. I was recently given an Internet link to a picture of a 10-week-old aborted fetus. If anyone could still believe in abortion after seeing this picture, I say God help them! At this point in our legal system, there is very little pro-lifers can do other than use the power of the pen, Internet, phone, snail-mail, voting booth and public forums in order to say, “NO MORE!”

— Timothy Tim Monroe Bledsoe

North Augusta, SC