Summer has a way of sneaking up on you, and then — just like that — you realize that school starts in 10 days and the most memorable thing you did during break was eat ice cream straight out of the pint. So don’t wait for the last few weeks of summer to start living it up. Here are some summer ideas.
1. Go to the beach. Kick off summer with a bumping beach day. Soak up some Vitamin D, throw a Frisbee around, surf, boogie board or build a sandcastle. As the sun sets, end the day with a bonfire complete with s’mores, hot dogs and groovy music.
2. Take a lot of pictures, and master the art of the selfie. The summer sky and sun make beautiful backdrops for even the most unflattering pictures. Carry your camera everywhere to document the highs and lows of summer 2013.
3. Live for the single life. Change your Facebook status to “single,” and let loose this summer with your closest friends and family. You can rekindle your relationship during the winter season when your summer tan fades, and you need a cuddle buddy to stay toasty.
4. Learn to play an instrument. Be it guitar, harmonica or the triangle, tap into your inner musician and jam.
5. Write a song. If you followed entry three, then you probably have some pent up emotions that you need to release. Use your musical skills from entry four, channel your inner Taylor Swift, move on, and enjoy summer.
6. Watch movies. Make a huge batch of popcorn, settle down on the couch, and have a marathon of your favorite shows and movies that you didn’t get to watch during the year. For a change in scenery, pry yourself off the couch, and get cozy in the back of your car at the drive-in movie theater.
7. Give thanks every day. Gratitude is the best attitude.
8. Take a road trip. Load sandwiches and b into a cooler, download some summer tunes (for car dancing, of course), grab your best friends, and hit the road. Explore the California coast on the 101, take the historic Route 66 from Los Angeles to Chicago, or simply see where the road takes you.
9. Go to county fairs. Wherever you are spending summer, hunt down a county fair nearby. Stuff your face with cheesy fries, warm pretzels, greasy corn dogs and crispy funnel cakes. Then, hit the amusement park rides and hope you don’t see all that food a second time.
10. Go camping. Round up your entourage, and get in touch with nature on a beach camping trip, or venture into the desert for some stargazing.
11. Find platform 9 ¾. Hop onto your Firebolt, and fly on over to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. Snap a photo or two with Buckbeak the Hippogriff, get drunk off of Butterbeer, or go wand shopping at Ollivanders Wand Shop. Make sure to watch out for those bloody Dementors.
12. Pull a prank. Empty a tub of mayonnaise, fill it with vanilla pudding, and eat it in public. Count how many people gag when they see you.
13. Learn to twerk. Channel Miley Cyrus’ unicorn swag, and express yourself on the dance floor.
14. Be in four states at once. Visit the Four Corners — the intersection point of the four states of Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah.
15. Say “I love you” more. While you are reunited with your family and friends, take some time to show them how much you care with these three little words.
16. Blast from the past. Dust off your yearbooks, and reconnect with at least one person from your high school glory days. Don’t wait for your 10-year high school reunion to catch up with your buddies, because — let’s face it — in 10 years, you won’t look nearly as good as you do now. Seize the day.
17. Start a food fight. Add some fun to any summer barbecue with a flying mass of potato salad or a hamburger slap across the face.
18. Hold up a sign offering “free hugs.” For some people, summer doesn’t cure unhappiness. Make someone’s day, and put a smile on his or her face with a hug.
19. Be unpredictable. Feel like running through the sprinklers with your clothes on or having a randomly intense make-out session on a Ferris Wheel? Go for it — as long as it’s legal.