Make Waves in Fashion

Although summer is all about dressing down, finding the perfect layering piece will help when building an outfit for a night out in the Gaslamp Quarter district or a day at La Jolla Shores. In both men’s and women’s fashion, summer 2013 is about having fun with patterns, colors and fabulous accessories. Here’s what the Guardian recommends:

Patterns

Summer is about trying new things. Have some fun with the prints you purchase by pairing your patterns with solids. When picking the perfect print, the more geometric shapes, the better.

Men: Try printed geometric shapes on the classic button down. Louis Vuitton showcased many checkered prints on their summer runway, but for college students, a checkered button down from H&M will do the job. Pair them with your favorite pair of shorts, and they’re perfect for a summer night’s concert.

Women: Try a maxi dress with printed symmetrical formations coupled with a denim vest. This will give your effortless look an edgy twist. Forever 21 has an abundance of maxi dresses to choose from with fun prints like tie dye or floral, and this look is perfect for a walk around Pacific Beach.

Floral

Experimenting with floral prints is a must. Whether you are going to a summer festival, concert or a party, this trend is still very popular. With an abundance of do-it-yourself videos on YouTube, adding flowers to jewelry or clothing can be a fun fashion statement for Sun God. Prada used daisies but any type of flower would work well for this trend.

Men: Floral might sound risky, but pairing a floral printed shirt underneath a solid colored blazer will be stylish without being overpowering.

Women: The bigger the flowers, the better. Exaggerated floral headbands were all over the Coachella scene, and it’s the perfect accessory for festival goers. Try adding faux flowers of your choice to a pair of sunglasses for an edgy yet feminine look.

Black & White

This combination was out of the picture for a while but it’s back. There is nothing classier than black and white. Layering white on top of white gives an irresistibly clean look and has become the trend to watch since it was all over Alexander Wang’s fashion show.

Men: When going out on a date in downtown La Jolla, keep it simple with white pants and a white button down because the combination will impress anyone. As for your feet, a pair of boat shoes would be ideal.

Women: A classic black and white dress, from H&M, with nude pumps will be perfect for a more professional setting, and adding on fun and vibrant jewelry is a great way to make your outfit a little more interesting. Seniors, this would be a flawless outfit for graduation.

Metallics

Metallics don’t have to be the usual gold or bronze. Try a more interesting glossy color like navy and coral. Pair a metallic piece with a neutral or bold color. Luminous shades were all over Diane Von Furstenberg’s fashion show; adding a pair of these to your outfit will complete any look.

Men: Try a metallic sports jacket to stray away from the norm. Try to pair it with dark washed jeans and a basic t-shirt, all of which can be found at Calvin Klein or Urban Outfitters.

Women: A metallic bikini from Victoria’s Secret is a perfect metallic. Pairing a radiant top with dark bottoms, or vice-versa, will have you glistening under the sun. Don’t forget to add on the essential floppy hat to complete your beach look.

Stripes

They can be horizontal, vertical or diagonal; stripes are a definite must-have. Try wearing stripes in fun colors like orange and mint. Michael Kors and Tommy Hilfiger displayed summer pieces in colorful stripes, but for a college friendly budget, Foreign Exchange offers a wide variety of substitutes.

Men: Don’t be afraid of stripes. Keep in mind there’s nothing more appealing than striped swim trunks in beaming colors that can be found at Forever 21.

Women: Striped shorts, tops and dresses are a must-have. It’s an easy way to take a simple outfit, such as jeans and a tank, and make it a bit more exciting with a sheer striped top. Also, finding the perfect vertically striped dress will give you an elongated figure.