Student Tests Positive for Tuberculosis

An unidentified UCSD student has tested positive for tuberculosis, according to information released by the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency yesterday.

The student was recently diagnosed, and last attended classes on Feb. 19. 

HHSA officials have notified faculty, students and staff who may have come into contact with the student in fall quarter and between Nov. 2 and March 22, during the period of exposure. A statement was emailed to those who were at risk of exposure on Tuesday, April 9.

Symptoms of TB include persistent coughs lasting three weeks or longer, chest pain, fatigue, weight loss, fever and chills. The airborne disease is spread through close contact with those infected and is treated with antibiotics.

“TB is treatable and curable, but most people who are exposed do not develop the disease,” Public Health Officer Dr. Wilma Wooten said in an article in the La Jolla Light. “We recommend that individuals speak with their health care provider about getting tested.”

There have been 21 San Diego County tuberculosis cases thus far in 2013; the first case of this year was reported on Jan. 15 at El Camino High School.

UCSD Student Health Services is offering free TB tests to staff and students on April 16 and April 23.