Currents

? UCTV,  the UC television station hosted at UCSD,   has released a mobile app for iPhone. Android users can expect a similar app in Fall 2012.

? UCSD Medical Center in Hillcrest was ranked in the Top 100 Hospitals by Thomson Reuters. The results of the rankings were published in Modern Healthcare magazine.

? A UCSD physics professor successfully appealed a $400 ticket for failing to stop at a stop sign by using the science of mechanics “and a little bit of geometry” to explain why the officer mistakenly thought he had run through the stop sign.

? Camp Pendleton has contracted a solar company to install a 3,459,000 kw solar panel system. Annual production of solar energy would be enough to power 23,000 homes for one day.

? A 16-year-old boy at Temecula Valley High School was arrested on Friday, April 20 for bringing an unloaded .22 caliber gun to campus. Allegedly, the sophomore brought the weapon to intimidate another student during a dispute over a girl. The gun belonged to the student’s stepfather and was taken without his permission.

? The Metropolitan Transit System Board of Directors recently approved the purchase of 53 new low-floor, compressed, natural gas buses for the San Diego’s public transportation system. The busses, which cost $22.3 million, will be delivered between the months of may and August

? A man who wounded two second graders at a Carlsbad elementary school in 2010 was sentenced to 189 years in prison this week.

? A special education teacher at Taft Elementary in Orange, California is on leave after being accused of verbally and physically abusing his students. One parent alleges that the teacher, Daniel Lentini, made a student lay on the floor and then stood on the student’s back as a punishment.

? A flight headed for Santa Barbara with Vice President Joe Biden aboard struck birds as it approached the airport last Thursday night. The vice president and other passengers were unharmed.

? Marin County, Calif. was voted no. 1 in the country for healthiest men by the Health Metrics and Evaluation.

$2515
$5000