Tritons Lose Fifth Straight

“I think we played really well,” head coach Liz LaPlante said. “[CSU Stanislaus] were a tough team and there were strong players in the top of their lineup.”

The No. 3 doubles team of senior Katie Mulloy and sophomore Laura Wilke defeated Stanislaus’ Heather Cotter and McKenzy Harden 8-2.

No. 1 doubles junior Melissa Breisacher and junior Jacquelyn Davis suffered a loss to undefeated doubles team Verena Preikschas and Katie Eng, 8-5. Preikschas and Eng are ranked No. 19 nationally.

Freshman Melinda Chu and Sophomore Tara Vanooteghem suffered a disappointing loss 8-1 by Davina Meza and Kelsey Chrisco.

The Tritons did not make much headway in singles, only taking two of their six matches.

Mulloy won her No. 4 singles match against Chrisco in straight sets, 6-3, 6-0. Davis won her match as well, defeating Lindsay West 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 6 singles.
    No. 1 singles Breisacher suffered a thorough loss to Preikschas 6-1, 6-1. Preikschas is ranked No. 17 in singles.

Krystal Mizugushi put up a fight against Harden in the No. 5 singles, losing in a tiebreaker, 7-6, 5-7, 10-8. Vanooteghem also worked hard against Eng in the No. 3 singles match. She was defeated 6-4, 7-6.

Chu lost her No. 2 singles match 6-4, 6-2 against Meza.

The Tritons were defeated on Saturday, April 7 by CSU Los Angeles, winning two out of their nine games.
    The No. 3 doubles team Mulloy and Wilke defeated the Golden Eagles pair of Liz Franco and Tiffany Leung 8-5.

The No. 1 doubles team of Breisacher and Davis put up a small fight before being defeated 8-4 by Christie Lau and Larn McShane.

No. 2 doubles team Chu and Vanooteghem played a close game against Leora Hemmerich and Jill Sangria, before losing by one game, 9-8.

UCSD only took one singles game, the No. 6 singles player Davis defeated Franco in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0.

Breisacher lost the No. 1 singles match 6-3, 6-4 to Lau. Chu lost the No. 2 singles match 6-3, 6-4 to Larn McShance. Vanooteghem lost the No. 3 singles match 6-3, 6-4 to Hemmerich.

Senior Samantha Yeung lost the No. 4 singles match in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1 to Jill Sangria.

Mizuguchi fought hard against Leung in the No. 5 singles match, losing the first set, but came back in the second set. She lost in the tiebreaker, 6-0, 6-7, 10-4.

The Tritons have dropped to 6-12 this season, after five consecutive losses. UCSD will play against the Warriors again, on Friday April 20. LaPlante hopes the team will play better Friday.

“We had a tough match today [Sun. April 15] against a really tough team [Abilene Christian] and then we have a match tomorrow [Mon. April 16], so we’re hoping that we’ll gain confidence from these matches to get us better prepared for that match,” LaPlante said.

$2515
    $5000