Council’s Speed Dating D-I Event Proves to Be a Success

Vice President of Student Life Meredith Madnick was so excited to announce the location for this quarter’s A.S. Council Retreat that she asked everyone to begin a drum roll. I suppose laser tag is a pretty epic way to spend a retreat, and I would bet that Madnick should expect a heavy turnout.
“You’re not required to go, but I will heavily judge you if you don’t,” Madnick said. As if council needed any other motivation to go.
Vice President of External Affairs Samer Naji attended a California State Board meeting where it was decided that a millionaire’s tax will be put on the ballot, so that anyone making more than $1 million a year will be taxed. This money will mostly go to higher education.
Muir Senator Leah Wong announced that all the UCs will be collaborating in the creation of a “Shit Broke UC Students Say” video, where five students from each UC will be filmed on their campus saying some shit that broke UC students would say.
A.S. President Alyssa Wing has already taken some action in response to an email sent out by UCSD Recreation Services to students enrolled in Recreation classes that clearly advocated the support of Division-I sports.
“No department or staff member should be influencing the vote,” she said. “Vice Chancellor Penny Rue is already aware of it and is taking action. We are asking the Recreation office if they can issue a public apology for a breach of neutrality.”
After this dark revelation, Madnick lightened things up with the announcement of Sixth Senator Cody Marshall for Council Member of the Week! He strutted his stuff to LMFAO’s “Sexy and I Know It,” which seemed appropriate since he was nominated for Council Member of the Week for his Division-I speed dating event.
Madnick and Vice President of Finance and Resource Kevin Hoang announced that they want all of council to be their valentines this year. They distributed Sweetheart candies and even saved a box for me. How sweet.
This was followed by a very serious discussion about whether the External Affairs office should be given funding for a new scanner, since they are responsible for scanning voter registration forms. The funding was eventually allocated.
Muir Senator Elizabeth Garcia opened a discussion regarding the placement of a question about what students want to see happen to CLICS on the special election ballot. After some editing, a question was deemed worthy of a student vote. Look for it on this year’s special election ballot.