Council Impeaches Marshall College Senator Due to Absences

A.S. Council impeached Marshall College Senator Summer Perez at its meeting last Wednesday, Nov. 8.

According to the A.S. bylaws, councilmembers with more than three unexcused absences are eligible for impeachment. Perez had five.

At the Committee Affairs meeting Nov. 8, councilmembers brought up legislation to excuse Perez’s absences. The motion was tabled indefinitely, meaning that it could be brought up anytime in the future.
Perez said that she didn’t want the legislation tabled and instead wanted to excuse her absence sooner. The issue was brought up again during the night’s council meeting. According to Perez, she was impeached because her reasons for excusing the absence — sickness — were inadequate.Marshall Student Committee Vice Chair Brianna Nelson spoke during the Nov. 8 meeting’s public input period. Nelson said it was unacceptable for Perez to ignore the attendance rules.

“The purpose of a senator is to represent our voice,” Nelson said. “I find it inexcusable to ignore the rules you put in place.”

Advocate General Courtney Hill motioned for the impeachment of Perez.

The meeting was closed for nearly an hour, while council discussed whether to impeach Perez.

Perez said the discussions revolved around personal issues instead of addressing the absences.

“It was completely biased against me,” Perez said. “It got so personal to the point where Facebook was involved, which was completely irrelevant to the whole situation.”
Perez said she will not appeal the council’s decision.

“If somebody doesn’t want me in office that bad that they’d have to [impeach me], then there’s no point for me [to stay],” Perez said. “I can still grow in other ways and still be involved on campus.”
Marshall College Council will now reopen  Perez’s position so interested students may apply to become her replacement.

After reviewing new applications and conducting interviews, Marshall College Council will recommend a candidate to A.S. Council, which will need to approve the final appointment.

At this time no other councilmember has three unexcused absences.

$2515
$5000