Crew Begins Season

The competition was open to all man-powered watercrafts, with 491 individuals participating in total. The event raised over $15,000 in donations to be given to the Susan G. Komen foundation.

A number of collegiate crew teams took part in the event, including University of San Diego, University of Southern California and Orange Coast College.

The Triton women were strong in their unofficial season opener. UCSD finished fourth and eighth in the Open Collegiate Varsity Eight Competition, with the Tritons’ first boat clocking in just after USD, and the second boat coming in just 20 seconds later.

“Overall I think we did really well,” varsity eight rower Ashley Travaglione said. “It’s our first race of the season and things felt really good in the boat. And both varsity boats rowed faster than last year.”

The men’s team, who is consistently competitive at the national level, easily took first place in both the varsity and novice divisions.

Both the men’s and women’s teams will compete in the Head of the Marina event this Saturday, Nov. 5 and the Newport Harbor Rowing Festival on Nov. 6.

“I was really happy with the performance despite the number of illnesses and injuries on our team,” varsity eight rower Alyssa Dixon-Word said. “We are very excited about this upcoming weekend and hope to show how competitive our team is this year.”